Growing ginger in the uk.

Share your growing tips
Oldgreybeard

Re: Growing ginger in the uk.

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Countrypaul wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:52 pm Condensate from the Aircon could contain various contaminents such as pollen, spores, even insects, virtualy anything that you could find in the air (depending on filter efficiency). Distilled water should have very litle of those as they should remain in the original vessle.

Try puting a bottle of each on the window cill and see which grows first if you want to check.
Probably fine for use in a steam iron, though, where normal airborne stuff is very unlikely to cause any problems. Main thing for steam irons just seems to be getting the minerals out of the water, anything else is very likely to get killed by the iron itself in use I'd have thought.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

Anyway, been to the shop earlier and bought some ginger with some nice sprouting eyes.

Last edited by nowty on Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:06 pm Read that too, SWMBO were chatting about the THC & CBD volumes these days. Looks like somewhere from 7 to 15 times the strength of a bit of hash back in the day (day being 83-91). Also some disturbing reports that even a bit of pressed hash won't be the Mars bar & giggling session of yesterdecade. Its at least quadrupled in strength. Sad really and no thank you very much. :ugeek:

Very noticeable difference with just the smell of the stuff. I remember the smell being very sweet and pleasant back in the late 60's and early 70's, but the smell from the plants down the lane was really pretty nasty, a sort of acrid, almost bitter, smell. I can understand why the newer name for this stuff is skunk, that's about as close to an accurate description of the smell as I could come up with. Presumably it's been cross bred now to increase its potency. Pity, as the original stuff always seemed to be pretty harmless. Worst I can remember is a strong tendency to fall asleep at parties . . .
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Growing ginger will now be the secret word for hash farms! :lol: :lol:

Not ginger, but considering Wasabi in our nicely shaded welsh stream!
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Isnt it 3+years to initial crop maturity? ..good on you for trying that, its a product that is touted as a valuable money crop which is suffering via climate change elswhere, get the word out of your crop a long time before harvesting, breaking into this sort of thing is a slow burn, unlike a teensy-weensie bit o proper wasabi itself.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Andy

Post by Andy »

nowty wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:26 pm This looks helpful for us UK folk.

I've been subscribed to Mothin's channel for a few years. He has some great videos espousing practical permaculture methods and has an amazing amount growing in his garden.
nowty

Post by nowty »

So its been just over a week since I bought my supermarket ginger, I soaked it overnight then put it in a clingfilm covered lunchbox with a small pot of water to provide humidity. Then left it on top of a kitchen cupboard and our kitchen is pretty warm at around 24 degrees.

As a reminder this is how the ginger looked straight from the Supermarket.

This is what it looks like now, definitely some action.
Last edited by nowty on Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

How many bits are you going to break it up into before planting it?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:23 pm How many bits are you going to break it up into before planting it?
A
Dunno yet, probably will cut no smaller than each main chunk as long as there is at least one shoot from it. I've probably started it at the wrong time of year, but it will be at least a proof of concept for next year if nothing else.

I might even try and grow it indoors under an LED light.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:40 pm
Dunno yet, probably will cut no smaller than each main chunk as long as there is at least one shoot from it. I've probably started it at the wrong time of year, but it will be at least a proof of concept for next year if nothing else.

I might even try and grow it indoors under an LED light.
I can easily pop around to the neighbour and get details of the LED lights I helped her hook up in her greenhouse earlier this year, if that helps. I believe they were relatively cheap, as far as grow lights go, and the quality of what was a budget light impressed me, as did the waterproofing and the brightness control. They worked very well for her tomatoes, so my guess is that they would probably be as good with ginger.