Starting Growing - Tomatoes etc

Share your growing tips
richbee

Starting Growing - Tomatoes etc

Post by richbee »

I love this time of year, as spring is thinking about arriving, solar PV is on the up, and it's time to plant Tomato, Chilli, pepper seeds etc & get gardening.
Planted the first ones at the weekend, and the first tomatoes have already poked their heads up after only 3 days in their little heated propagator!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
NikoV6

Re: Starting Growing - Tomatoes etc

Post by NikoV6 »

Me too!

We moved here to our two acres of Wales to do just that!

Plan for this weekend and next week as leave is to plant an orchard in place of the trees we chopped down to stop shade on the solars. Will grow a mix of apples, pears and soft fruit, all against stakes and along wires to keep the height in check
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
richbee

Post by richbee »

NikoV6 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:37 pm Me too!

We moved here to our two acres of Wales to do just that!

Plan for this weekend and next week as leave is to plant an orchard in place of the trees we chopped down to stop shade on the solars. Will grow a mix of apples, pears and soft fruit, all against stakes and along wires to keep the height in check
We managed to buy a small (1/4 acre) field next to our house a couple of years ago - we planted woodland trees, a small orchard and built a fruit cage etc - great fun
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Right now many people ought be planting a compost bag full of tomato plants, A, nicer, when seasonal & not forced, plentiful, & b.. "just in case"
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
richbee

Post by richbee »

Haha, yes, quite topical this week - good job they are quite easy to grow - although the shortage will be long past by the time mine are ready!
They do taste so much better though
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Way less plastic, mileage on them too.

This in the guardian today...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... of-growing

I have alll but given up on anything other than salad leaves & brocolli heads out of season, having been so disappointed by flavour of forced growth veggies for many years, inc insipid tomatoes.

Makes it easier to simply load up on frozen peas & corn &_ wait for "not thanet" uk growers... but this year additional heating coats & inflation will make for gold leafed prices on veggies I reckon.

Glad I developed an appreciation for easy to grow raw spinach leaf, which is pretty versatile & my go to for a burger either on its own or with baby pea leaf salad & a sous vide veggie burger, keeps long & well in a fridge too! (this shortage of tasteless dross is an opportunity to expand the palate imho.

Air fry a head of floretted head of broccoli, (keep an eye on it) with or without salt it's different & delicious, which may get you trying kale oven crisps thereafter, ..& for the inexperienced I promise you spinach leaf is nigh on tasteless, so you can pile it high for the iron & whatever, id have no qualms giving it to a kid early in life, & wilted in a cheese sauce, ..well, I'll eat 1.5 lbs of that in a sitting if I could, ..making up for lost time.

Btw, I dug out some very buried ziplockbags of white crumbly "not recommended to be frozen" english cheese ..3 years in the freezer, tasted bloody brilliant, have been having meals of new potatoes & crumbs of this 15p per block cheese, (and going back for more) instead of butter. ..so the general consensus on the internet is wrong.

Adapt & conquer in a shortage, (especially with flavoured salt seasonings from cornish sea salt conmpany, which is eye poppingly good for a new appreciation to bland staples ..i highly recommend the sweet paprika salt (salt light, sweet paprika heavy) & their fresh garlic salt on a oiled baked spud, .. is a cheap but "asked for" weekly repeat money saver meal.

The cheese & potato's reminds me of being in Savoie, just without the horrendous cost for a candle, lump of cheese & bowl of spuds that tourists criminally waste 😆

cheese type to be added later, flu & in bed. (cheshire, white ..a lovely crumb that is slightly sour, but moreish)
Last edited by Mr Gus on Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

It's longer lasting an effect than many think

"The company decided it could not afford to run the LED lights in its glasshouses required to grow a winter tomato crop, which is traditionally sown in August and harvested from Christmas until July"

Someone tell them about ripple, please!
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

More news about fruit & veg shortage made me think that after some years of not growing little tomatoes it was definitely time to sow some seed..
Feb being the time to get your germination groove on & snag early compost bag deals..

I cannot remember our favoured varieties, small & super sweet is always the winner for me though, ...suggestions for a good cropper?

I like bag growing as they can be moved around to a degree, with supporting plastic trays (or ikea boot trays for mini compost packs) I got rid of our greenhouse as it was in a really cretinous position so it will be conservatory growth, on the draining board, by the butler sink & 2 windows to assist airflow & reduce burn potential compared to bottom of the garden no electric, "forgot, too hot" as was. shame it had an excellent concrete standing.

Time to organise a grow & swap with a neighbour, the supply woes & prices go on & on it seems.

Plant pot left to indent as a water filling spot reservoir to observe rather than "fill & spill" technique of trad toms in compost bags, & a filled bucket nearby for assisted evaporation purposes.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Mr Gus wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:38 pm I cannot remember our favoured varieties, small & super sweet is always the winner for me though, ...suggestions for a good cropper?
I got some Sungold from my neighbour last year and they were small, sweet and a good cropper.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Fintray wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:59 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:38 pm I cannot remember our favoured varieties, small & super sweet is always the winner for me though, ...suggestions for a good cropper?
I got some Sungold from my neighbour last year and they were small, sweet and a good cropper.
I am suspicious of super-sweet stuff, especially Swede and carrots. There is too much sugar in our diets anyway, without smuggling extra in in root veg...
I was surprised to see https://www.realseeds.co.uk/swedes.html advertising a super-sweet one, but it has gone from their website now. Maybe I am misremembering, and it was this sweet corn:
We’re delighted to be able to offer this variety, which is not only the first new open-pollinated corn to be bred in Europe in modern times, but even a supersweet variety at that!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!