Share your growing tips
Bugtownboy

Re: Tatties 23!

Post by Bugtownboy »

If you underestimated the spuds, wait until the squash get going :o
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Never grown butter nut squash - do they require anything special ?

Moxi
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

We’ve tried Butternut and Crown Prince.

Had a bit of trouble with slugs/snails one year, otherwise they’re pretty easy (unless I wasn’t doing the right thing :lol: )

They do spread a lot, so I think growing them in the richest soil you can and feed and water them.

The butternut squash kept ok for a couple of months (we’d eaten them by then). The Crown Prince keep better - we had some the following spring.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Cheers Bugtownboy,

I enjoy eating butternut squash so I will give that a go next year - probably try it in a large tub on the patio to leave the garden free for the other veg and make watering and feeding it easier. I will watch a few u tube videos to fortify my understanding in the mean time.

Mmmmm butter nut soup !

Moxi
richbee

Post by richbee »

:lol:
Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:40 am If you underestimated the spuds, wait until the squash get going :o
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:28 am Cheers Bugtownboy,

I enjoy eating butternut squash so I will give that a go next year - probably try it in a large tub on the patio to leave the garden free for the other veg and make watering and feeding it easier. I will watch a few u tube videos to fortify my understanding in the mean time.

Mmmmm butter nut soup !

Moxi
If you enjoy Butternut, do try Crown Prince if you see them. To me, they have a nicer flavour and texture.

That said, Butternut is excellent and readily available - we do try to have one either roasted, in soup or risotto every couple of weeks.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I will keep a look out from Crown Prince - thanks.

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

This hot humid weather has brought the first signs of potato blight. Up to now I've picked off a few infected leaf tips, but I got going and applied my foliar feed this morning, to the tomatoes too...

(Bordeaux mixture was a brilliant prevention for the fungal disease, unfortunately nobody got it licensed so it's not approved as a pesticide or on the market. However when we used it in the past we got a brilliant crop, so I concluded that maybe the copper in it was a trace element that the Andean plants were missing in UK soils so now I make sure that mine don't go short!

3 oz CuSO4 in a gallon of water, plus 4 oz slaked lime suspension in another gallon mixed in through a strainer and sprayed immediately, keeping it agitated while you apply it. I make it up in half quantities as I have a 1 gallon sprayer.)
see also https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7481.html
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

First flowers are out on bed tatties, none yet on container tatties. I've deliberately let the beds do their own thing this year other than pulling a few nettles. I'm liking the look and winged insect action. It's very relaxing to be in that space.

16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Harvested the 1st tatties out of the containers. What an excellent start to the day! 3 kilo from two containers and thr compost turned onto the newly harvested rhubarb patch.

Last years seed tatties from our own grown and compost also home grown. Multiple small layers of grass clippings on top meant we only had one gree tattie out of two containers. Not only and excellent way to feed, hold in water but also a sunblock.

16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees