Now the good news; Amazon black earth

Share your growing tips
Stan

Now the good news; Amazon black earth

Post by Stan »

I would download ‘Just have a think’ from youtube but it is no longer possible.
This episode is about Amazon black earth which if is added i small amounts to degraded soil makes it into a super medium and perhaps the answer to our problems. Do have a look.
Mr Gus

Re: Now the good news; Amazon black earth

Post by Mr Gus »

1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thankyou Gus.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Terra preta des indios was talked about when we had a project to make charcoal and run a gas turbine in the process. By about 2006 Peter Read had coined the term biochar.

I was going to comment about it on another thread when carbon dioxide enrichment of greenhouses was mentioned.

My point is that certain plants are already benefiting from increased atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and it is showing as an increase in the net amount removed from the atmosphere but it is rapidly recycled to CO2, so little long term effect. The natural carbon cycle is an order of magnitude greater annually than what we put into the atmosphere with fossil fuels.

Intervening in the cycle before the decay back into CO2 and water and making a recalcitrant form of carbon deposited in soil is still my favoured CDR.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Last time this topic came up (in the other place?) I was able to make the contribution that on one job I worked with a chemist (on a totally unrelated topic) and this came up in conversation. He had done his PhD on some aspect of activated charcoal and told me that, if you made it right, besides mopping up organic molecules it would also fix nitrogen and he suspected that was what the S American agriculture exploited.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

I'm no expert on the chemistry but do understand some of the ways temperature affects how it behaves in the soil. However one thing the experts seem to agree on is while its micro-porous nature is beneficial for water retention and providing niches for microbial activity (and increasing soil organic matter, a big carbon reservoir in the cycle) having a massively activated char, made by post treatment with things like super heated steam or chlorine to form more pockets and surface area by reacting with the carbon, is detrimental in the soil.

Then again some of the best results of its use in UK was in amending soils with high heavy metal content deposited from water escaping from abandoned mine workings.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery