How capable could an £11 well water pump for uganda actually be?

Share your growing tips
Mr Gus

How capable could an £11 well water pump for uganda actually be?

Post by Mr Gus »

An "EKO" appeal which without competent descriptive copy I find questionable.

The appeal..
Is another money doubler by an unknown donor, so £11 gets product x2 potentially doubling impact.

The product (for "drought stricken" Uganda) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w ... ing_Uganda ..ongoing civil war, war & conflict without much cessation... :roll: SOLAR WATER PUMPS.

But precisely bugger all details on average well depth, how much deeper they have to dig, & therefore head / capability is always questionable (thus needs answering) ..I was tempted before thinking, to pop the link up here, but then thought, Camelot folk would likely have the same questions as to power, head, overall ability, (yes I know a trickle can fill a bucket, but it has to have the ability to lift it without crapping out, detritus etc..) so how useful for how long? sticking plaster solution or complete crap with groundwater retreating further all the time, sort of thing

Sympathy is one thing, decent delivery at either end is damned important to ensure it is fit for purpose & vfm, lest you get egg on your face via an expose on "crap aid"
So I did email back asking for a better write up & tech spec.. no idea the whether it will garner a response.

Dismayed at the lack of detail as to what is supplied.

This is the appeal link as er my email received: https://actions.eko.org/a/help-drought- ... ce=fwd&t=1
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Countrypaul

Re: How capable could an £11 well water pump for uganda actually be?

Post by Countrypaul »

Where does the figure of £11 come from as I can't see any mention in the article linked to?
Mr Gus

Re: How capable could an £11 well water pump for uganda actually be?

Post by Mr Gus »

I'm a mug, I speed read, the email which is different to the link (though the slider STARTS on £11 on first read it looked like 11= 1 unit (& we've all seen some of the crap head solar) ..the point I made therefore stands, more info was needed beyond the mention of solar pumps & the spec included for head & solar potential (& whether it was free-running or had battery back up) ..which is what I asked for in my email to them.

So, yes, apologies, but it is indeed vague without fact to work from.

In previous campaigns they said "X" £ = 1 acre, then doubled by generous anonymous benefactor (possibly offsetting a tax liability) thus when you are used to the simple math / benefit presented as a no brainer..

Sadly I am the "no brain" er on this one.
Stand down :oops:

Confusion also from the fact that Ugandas geographical landscape borders on other areas, it's a right old mix, with some dire land as well as rich & fertile, river fed, presumably everything is being sent to the northern quadrant, but this is also where I was confused, drawing water can be different depths in different areas, so it is possible some mega small pumps with minimal head could benefit & would be used, ...we are all used to seeing drought & desert africa, but as uganda borders DRC (for one) it is a varied landscape.

BUT, that said the email did mention 1 pump drawing enough for 100 families, depends what you fill & how it is accessed / wasted, drawing to a bund or a pool etc.. & head of course.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more