What happens when councils charge for the periodic emptying of a green bin (compostables)

Share your growing tips
AE-NMidlands

Re: What happens when councils charge for the periodic emptying of a green bin (compostables)

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:01 am Cork is a wonderful material !

I used to save the occasional ( :roll: ) cork from wine bottles, but found few re-uses for them, hence trying to compost.
I have had to scavenge them since the advent of wine in screw-top bottles! Save them and drill axially part-way through to put on thin canes in the garden: eyesight protection! Apparently quite a lot of eye injuries result from people bending down to pick something they are focussing on and spearing their eyeballs.

2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Bugtownboy

Re: What happens when councils charge for the periodic emptying of a green bin (compostables)

Post by Bugtownboy »

Yep, that’s one of the few uses I’ve got.

That and creating a stop on a set of hooks I use to dry herbs/garlic/lavender etc.

Protecting canes is important - apart from injuries to eyes/face, I have read there've been fatalities if the eye injury is severe/penetrates the brain.

Though that last bit may be an urban myth thing - either way, not worth taking a chance.