Mouse problem in poly tunnel

Share your growing tips
Sunrisemike

Mouse problem in poly tunnel

Post by Sunrisemike »

Having completed my polytunnel, I thought I had sorted the mouse problem that we have in the greenhouse, by wrapping the legs of the racks with very stiff plastic sheeting. But no, one got up there and happily dug up some young seedlings..and eat the missus's tulip bulbs. :roll: :roll:
I caught the culprit in a trap last night and plan to now set up a patriot anti mouse system round the bench. Anyone have any other ideas?

Mike

Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Countrypaul

Re: Mouse problem in poly tunnel

Post by Countrypaul »

Install a cat :D
Mart

Post by Mart »

May have been a fluke, but we caught a mouse last week. We no longer have any 'tough' cats that grew up 'on da streets', or are fully mobile, so our homegrown cats like to bring mice in, and let them loose in the house. :facepalm:

Anyways, the mouse took shelter behind the kitchen cabinets. Then found the hole in the back of the crisps cupboard, to allow access to the stopcock. Then climbed in the crisp tub and emptied a whole bag of hula hoops. Presumbably using the multipacks to climb back out of the tub.

So, I emptied the tub, put it back with some hula hoop bait, and later that evening we had a mouse.

Tub is a storage container, about 300mm deep. Not sure what the necessary depth is to stop them jumping out, and may never work again, but every other trick/trap we've tried in the past hasn't worked. So a tub, bucket etc, with access, perhaps a ramp, then :xx:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

Tried the cat, he jumped up and lay down on the seed tray. :(
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
richbee

Post by richbee »

Sunrisemike wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:28 am Having completed my polytunnel, I thought I had sorted the mouse problem that we have in the greenhouse, by wrapping the legs of the racks with very stiff plastic sheeting. But no, one got up there and happily dug up some young seedlings..and eat the missus's tulip bulbs. :roll: :roll:
I caught the culprit in a trap last night and plan to now set up a patriot anti mouse system round the bench. Anyone have any other ideas?

Mike

Furry things are very annoying critters - definitely a mouse not a vole?
Last year the voles were in full on destruction mode, eating leaves and bulbs and crops, obviously small ones, as they just laughed at my defensive measures by walking straight through the wire mesh I put around the raised beds!!
I think we get mice in the greenhouse later in the year, when they come in and eat the tomatoes and chillis.
Not mentioning the rabbits which get in when they can & munch stuff, and the rats which eat all the slug pellets and destroyed the potato crop, plus the mole(s) in the garden which dig up everywhere and leave little tunnels under the veg beds and the lawn
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

Defiantly mice, caught one yesterday in a trap and another today. We get the voles in the outside raised beds! They burrow around underground, with mini mole hills and carrots lying on their sides. :(
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...