Zero food-miles - not even metres

Share your growing tips
AE-NMidlands

Zero food-miles - not even metres

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Just had fresh raspberries for my dessert (on 1st June too.) Absolutely no food miles as I was standing by the plants as I ate them!
Brambles just breaking into flower round here already, so the bees are busy (and happy) and there is no June gap in the nectar flow this year again.
A worrying shortage of wasps, wild bees and butterflies compared to previous years though.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
richbee

Re: Zero food-miles - not even metres

Post by richbee »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:01 pm Just had fresh raspberries for my dessert (on 1st June too.) Absolutely no food miles as I was standing by the plants as I ate them!
Brambles just breaking into flower round here already, so the bees are busy (and happy) and there is no June gap in the nectar flow this year again.
A worrying shortage of wasps, wild bees and butterflies compared to previous years though.
Always great to have home grown produce :D

"A worrying shortage of wasps" - Not a phrase I hear very often ;)
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Wasps are my allies against caterpillars! Apparently just 1 nest will consume several hundredweight of insect eggs and caterpillars, so they help protect my cabbages.

They aren't a problem for bees as they aren't interested in sugar until much later in the year, and by then our colonies should be strong enough to defend themselves. If it does get too much I can trap the wasps at that stage...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
richbee

Post by richbee »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:50 pm Wasps are my allies against caterpillars! Apparently just 1 nest will consume several hundredweight of insect eggs and caterpillars, so they help protect my cabbages.

They aren't a problem for bees as they aren't interested in sugar until much later in the year, and by then our colonies should be strong enough to defend themselves. If it does get too much I can trap the wasps at that stage...
I didn't know that!!
I've grown more tolerant over the years, rather than getting rid like I used to - based on childhood nightmares of summer picnics ruined by buzzing attacks.
Last year they made a couple of beautiful papier mache nests under the eaves of my man cave and I was so impressed I just left them to it.
I might have to make them somewhere suitable near the veg garden if they are good against cabbage white caterpillars
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W