Felling a giant ash; a man on top of the job.

Share your growing tips
Stan

Felling a giant ash; a man on top of the job.

Post by Stan »

My ash tree had 3 large vertical stems. One of them was in a really bad state of rot and would have fallen across the lane. The job was complex because of masses of ivy up the stems and a telephone line directly beneath as well as a hedge, tensioned sheep fencing and some saplings. The photo amply shows the courage needed for this work. He used climbing gear throughout until this final member.

The pictures below show what was left of the rotten section and the scenes afterwards.

Here she was in all of her glory.

spread-tee

Re: Felling a giant ash; a man on top of the job.

Post by spread-tee »

It is a shame to see an old tree come to the end of its life but it comes to us all sooner or later.

It scares the poop out of me to see those tree fellas waving a chainsaw around up the top of a tree. Sometimes I pick up logs from my mate where he is felling them and I just cannot watch him, he's not a youngster either but still has a full complement of fingers.

peers date
Blah blah blah
renewablejohn

Re: Felling a giant ash; a man on top of the job.

Post by renewablejohn »

Stan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm My ash tree had 3 large vertical stems. One of them was in a really bad state of rot and would have fallen across the lane. The job was complex because of masses of ivy up the stems and a telephone line directly beneath as well as a hedge, tensioned sheep fencing and some saplings. The photo amply shows the courage needed for this work. He used climbing gear throughout until this final member.

The pictures below show what was left of the rotten section and the scenes afterwards.

Here she was in all of her glory.

I know this is an old thread but please be warned this is not courage being shown but gross stupidity. With the spread of ash dieback through out the country many tree surgeons have been killed felling diseased ash trees. The only safe recommended way now to dismantle an ash is to use a MEWP or if sufficient space clear fell.