Growing potatoes in containers

Share your growing tips
nowty

Growing potatoes in containers

Post by nowty »

Been doing this for about 10 years, tried different ways and different varieties but now I have a tried and tested method.

I only grow Maris Peer and I find, they can grow as first earlies, second earlies or maincrop. Some years I've had them in as early as Feb, but this year its been mid April and they still suffered from a little frost damage. I have now just harvested my first crop of the season and they were delicious. I will now be self sufficient in potato's until around end of Sept. I grow them in 60 litre canvas containers. I first start off with 3, then a month later plant 2 more, then a couple of weeks later I plant the final 6th one. Then as I harvest each one, I re-plant another and another until about the beginning of Aug. I get a harvest of about 1.5kg in each container. I sift the used soil and re-use every year, adding a handful of growmore fertiliser and a little sulphur each time which reduces black spot which starts to happen if it gets really hot.

I grow them on my driveway at the front of my SW facing house, I have even had neighbours asking what type of flowers they are because the foliage and flowers can look quite attractive.

I use 5 seed potatoes in each container, I buy two bags at B&Q, usually at the start of Feb when they are on offer, they shrivel and look worse as the year progresses, but still grow OK. Dont keep them in them in the dark or they just keep growing roots and are soon fecked.

I use the lasagne method, with the container about 1/3 full I plant two North and South.

Then add some more compost and add one in the middle.

Then add some more compost and add two more East and West.

Then add some more compost, its now about 2 thirds full, followed by a handfull of growmore fertiliser and a few puffs of sulphur. The sulphur is eaten by some bacteria and makes sulphuric acid and this helps keep black spot away, especially near the end of the season when it can get too hot.

Water in well.

After a few days they start growing and poking through the compost.

I add more compost as they grow (earthing up) until the container is almost full.

They can get really big and start to flower. At this stage they may need a lot of water every day and use an occasional high potassium fertiliser.

Once the flowering stops and the stems fall over, they are nearly ready, you can either harvest early for smaller potatoes or leave for another 2 weeks or so for larger ones. If you want max size, then wait until the stems yellow and die off.

The reasons I like Maris Peer the best is, they are so consistent with lovely flavour. But also, the stems are easy to pull out and the roots are not too tough so the used compost its relatively easy to sift and use again. Left is the sifted used compost, which will be used again.

My usual 1.5kg harvest from each bag.

Wash and bag them, the skins are so delicate they can be simply be scrubbed off without requiring peeling.

We ate some tonight with roast chicken, absolutely delicious, so much better than from the supermarket and so easy to grow. You also don't even need a garden, any sunny spot will do. :mrgreen:
Last edited by nowty on Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mr Gus

Re: Growing potatoes in containers

Post by Mr Gus »

I will show this to the wife upon her return this morning In order to hopefully clear some sleepy forgotten seed potatoes from the fridge :oops:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
elliott

Post by elliott »

Cracking post Nowty
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Great looking tatties and simple to follow "how to" as well. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Stan

Post by Stan »

Interesting. We grow Charlotte spuds in garden compost in plastic tubs. There is one spud planted per tub but I’ve never used growmore or sulphur or re-used the compost. The only feed is Miracle Grow so I may try growmore. Watering is important as they do flag on hot days.

JR

Post by JR »

Interesting post and great photos, thanks for sharing.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Pulled a few potatoes out of the penultimate potato growing container for tonight's dinner, along with a home grown onion which will be used in an old North of England recipe for a potato and meat pie filling.

Looks like the final bag will be harvested in November after being planted towards the end of August.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Sorry I cooked it with FF and I don't have a grass fed cow in my garden, so Sainsburys had to do, but the gas boiler is still switched off so I am still down to only 1 kWh a day on gas. :oops:

It was very tasty though and SWMBO loved it, along with a long travelled red wine from Australia, eek, it is hard trying to be completely green. :?

Pretty chilly here today and I can hear the slight hum of the heatpump in the background.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Nothing against the maris peer, but my early favourite is arran pilot.

Tubs are great for limited space. I used to grow my tats under black plastic sheet, but now I am a bit short of space, so back to the containers next year.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:24 pm Sorry I cooked it with FF and I don't have a grass fed cow in my garden, so Sainsburys had to do, but the gas boiler is still switched off so I am still down to only 1 kWh a day on gas. :oops:

It was very tasty though and SWMBO loved it, along with a long travelled red wine from Australia, eek, it is hard trying to be completely green. :?

Pretty chilly here today and I can hear the slight hum of the heatpump in the background.

Nice one. salivating right now AND i've just had my lunch! :)
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees