Cavity wall recommendations near Edinburgh

Moxi

Re: Cavity wall recommendations near Edinburgh

Post by Moxi »

Charlie B,

Was there a reason why you didn't consider EWI ? It can be DIY or installed and you get a defined level of insulation that you require rather than a level of insulation determined by what you can cram into the cavity.

You also get a weather coated shield on an exposed gable end that is easy to maintain simply by painting every few years.

Apologies if you covered this elsewhere but I cant recall and I'm curious to understand further.

Moxi
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

I don't feel confident to DIY EWI on the rendered bits of my house and had a recent estimate of £170/m2 but the guy has never got back to me with a firm price, it's the story of my life.

Given I heat by scavenged wood I doubt the £6500 would ever payback as the extension will be demolished when we go and the house extended 1 1/2 times size, like next door.

I would like to reduce the need for logs and begin to wonder about hanging rugs on the inside walls like eastern Europeans do.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:38 am
Kia, what did you do to your home, was it EWI? Any photos?

Well, I bought a 100 Sq.m 1950's cavity wall brick-built bungalow in Scotland. In 2014 I extended upwards + a bit in front + a bit at back (like a tent over the top). Replastered externally (one coat) to level up between old and new and to make air-tight line, then 200mm platinum EPS externally with acrylic render finish. New quad-glazed windows and replastered internally with 40mm warm board. Stripped out the raised timber floors and filled space with EPS then 150 mm concrete + screed and u/floor heating. 400mm platinum EPS insulation at roof level made air-tight by layer of strand board (joints bedded with silicone) and connected to air-tight line of external wall plaster. Heat recovery sytem by 3 x Vaventis wall cassettes (they also control humidity). 7.4 kW PV, Daikin heat pump. Result is 250 Sq.m 2/storey house to Passiv standard at refurb cost of £300k. Very comfortable but not a great monetary investment. No comments on colour scheme please!

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

kla456 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:34 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:38 am
Kia, what did you do to your home, was it EWI? Any photos?

Well, I bought a 100 Sq.m 1950's cavity wall brick-built bungalow in Scotland. In 2014 I extended upwards + a bit in front + a bit at back (like a tent over the top). Replastered externally (one coat) to level up between old and new and to make air-tight line, then 200mm platinum EPS externally with acrylic render finish. New quad-glazed windows and replastered internally with 40mm warm board. Stripped out the raised timber floors and filled space with EPS then 150 mm concrete + screed and u/floor heating. 400mm platinum EPS insulation at roof level made air-tight by layer of strand board (joints bedded with silicone) and connected to air-tight line of external wall plaster. Heat recovery sytem by 3 x Vaventis wall cassettes (they also control humidity). 7.4 kW PV, Daikin heat pump. Result is 250 Sq.m 2/storey house to Passiv standard at refurb cost of £300k. Very comfortable but not a great monetary investment. No comments on colour scheme please!

WOW!!!! :praise:
I didn't know that quad glazing was a thing. The heatloss curve must be just about flat and run for months?.👏 👏
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

That's some extension/refurb :xl:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

openspaceman wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:29 pm I don't feel confident to DIY EWI on the rendered bits of my house and had a recent estimate of £170/m2 but the guy has never got back to me with a firm price, it's the story of my life.

Given I heat by scavenged wood I doubt the £6500 would ever payback as the extension will be demolished when we go and the house extended 1 1/2 times size, like next door.

I would like to reduce the need for logs and begin to wonder about hanging rugs on the inside walls like eastern Europeans do.
If it is any consolation all three companies I spoke with (2 had site visits) have gone silent on me too ... and one quote was similar in price to yours.

Has anyone tried for the Enerphit standard (similar to Passivhaus but for retrofit) details here
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That quad glazing idea really hooked me. Spoke to SWMBO about replacement windows a couple of years back.

15 degs outdoor here.
80mm kingspan in the test wall.
Double glazed bead edge internal 1.1 deg lower than 80mm KS known wall.

Is that enough going on the vast sq mtr of glazing in a home to be worth upgrading? Any and all input appreciated. May cut into my 25% SIPP for this but interested to know how to convert sqmtr of glazing from double to whatever. DG is 15yrs old argon filled.

I remember Nowty went there, significant improvements I think?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Quad glazing is very heavy, particularly for swing doors. I had to change the front door to two leaves, because of weight. That was in 2014. Todays best quality triple glazing has equal or better performance.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

kla456 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:10 pm Quad glazing is very heavy, particularly for swing doors. I had to change the front door to two leaves, because of weight. That was in 2014. Todays best quality triple glazing has equal or better performance.
Thanks Kia, I'm sitting looking at area in the rear lounge. It's a bit excessive if it's underpar. I'm aware of the reduction in bills here with other works but I'd rather be at the top of my game as much as practicable.

I am genuinely unsure how to convert negative 1.1 deg on glass/frame by area to a legit gain.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:19 pm
kla456 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:10 pm Quad glazing is very heavy, particularly for swing doors. I had to change the front door to two leaves, because of weight. That was in 2014. Todays best quality triple glazing has equal or better performance.
Thanks Kia, I'm sitting looking at area in the rear lounge. It's a bit excessive if it's underpar. I'm aware of the reduction in bills here with other works but I'd rather be at the top of my game as much as practicable.

I am genuinely unsure how to convert negative 1.1 deg on glass/frame by area to a legit gain.

Surely you just need to compare U values with something like a 20 or 25⁰ difference to get an actual heat loss figure for winter. What will likely be more difficult is to calculate the difference in temperature perception when the internal pane is that much warmer.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.