Window renovation

billi

Window renovation

Post by billi »

Just a try-out ,to squeeze in an insulated glass Panel into the existing Windows (kind off a sandwich style) .... Instead of ripping them out including frames 🙂

billi

Re: Window renovation

Post by billi »

its basically just an idea , to keep all those windows of the house , but to make it sound proof and warmer , ....

there are about 20 windows in that old farmhouse i bought and it would be a major deal to rip them all out and install new windows including frames ... so just for a try ill tested one window to insert an ordered double glased panel to fit into those "butterfly windows .... need to sorce a good glass cleaner and a thin expandable glue to seal some gaps below 1 mm

Not sure about it that in total i have 4 glass panels now in one window frame .... guess at least i should take one off the old ones out
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Acetone, maybe Billi?

Degreasant from Amazon or elsewhere, I use Isopropanol Alcohol 99.9% for cleaning up screens, & the like, especially now in times of covid I generally have 5 litres around for misting spray on hands, ..& Since the wife has a covid outbreak at work that she's finally caught after dodging it since it began in europe, ..on everything she touches.as of Thursday's "positive"

https://trade-chem.co.uk/speciality/iso ... r-cleaner/ a litre will do you for odd jobs afterwards, obviously it's a fast evaporation with minimal oils left behind.

Who is / was our double glazing guy from the other place? Is he around to advise anymore?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
billi

Post by billi »

Thanks Gus

Yeah something like that , we used a product called Spiritus = (Alkohol 94% (Ethanol) ) and newspaper in not direct sunlight .... since decades from Granny to Mother to Son :D .... , wish i had that yesterday eve :roll:

That is the stuff also to place into a fondue burner on new years eve or so , had always trouble to get it in Ireland cause only in Pharmacies in small doses available .... (guess one could destill it to something drinkable :roll: . Here i get it for 2 Euro a litre

Missed a few spots cleaning the glass a lot of surfaces now in that sandwi(t)ch window now .

In one corner i have a small under 1mm gap of the new inserted double-glassing unit , but i think i should not glue ore silicon that into the timber for the time being
robl

Post by robl »

I upgraded our 1963 front door + 2 glass panes from single to sealed DG units, around 10 years ago:
I ordered new DG glass, 10mm smaller than the existing rebate was. I took out the old SG glass - that involved smashing it! Then made the reveal deeper with a I think a router and a multitool and hand chisel, so that there was enough depth for my new glass and a thinner bit of bead I bought. Then I drilled 5 off 5mm dia angled holes to outside, so the DG unit could "breathe" to outside, and any water in the gap would drip out not in. Then fitted the DG unit with some water tight double sided sticky stuff the consistency of blue-tack (I forget what it was called) - it should sit on top of some spacers with a 5mm gap all around it's edges. Then fitted new (or the old) beads. Job done!
4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Ooh interesing Billi! It's like you've taken the idea behind my product one step further!

You're leaving the original glass in situ, so you end up with a triple glazed window, am I right?

I'd worry about condensation building up between the old glass and the new double glazed unit. In my experience, moisture can migrate through the wood frames even if varnished or painted (although not all that often).

If nothing else, make sure you've gone around the frame the double glazed unit will fit in with a good sealer of some sort to reduce the chance of this.

Then, instead of gluing in, could you surround your double glazed unit with EPDM (or other) sponge self adhesive strip, then squeeze it in. This will fill any gaps, but mean the DG unit can be temporarily removed if it mists up.

To be confident that it won't fall out, you would have to fit a few lugs round the perimeter of the frame.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Would it be worth putting a few crystals of silica gel between the DG unit and the original glass??

Desp
Blah blah blah
billi

Post by billi »

Then, instead of gluing in, could you surround your double glazed unit with EPDM (or other) sponge self adhesive strip, then squeeze it in. This will fill any gaps, but mean the DG unit can be temporarily removed if it mists up.
Exactly Gareth , as i cannot know , what moisture will do , i will not glue the DG unit in

Desp, would they act as a long therm give and take moisture idea ?

In total there are now 4 sheets of glass , so 2 single glass sheets on the inside and outside and the sealed double glassing in the middle , i think i order the remaining 4 DG units for my living area , not only for insulation , sound proving is important too