hot water heat-pump

billi

hot water heat-pump

Post by billi »

Finally , Billi gets one :D

!5 years ago i bought a second hand domestic hot water Siemens 200l heatpump in Ireland , second hand , for sure never used , just stood idle in a garage , and :roll: it was kaput .... , the copper? coil winded around the outer side of the tank had a leak /corroded .
I found out how those are constructed then , because it was kaput anyway i used my anglegrinder for an surgery ... :twisted:

It was a big disappointment for me at the time , cause i really liked the idea to install one of those including hot water tank not too pricey new , as a dump load for ma PV,Wind,Hydro setup , after Battery was full the Victron Inverter charger would have just switched on a relay to Dump into that 300 l storage tank , and not only as an 1 to1 immersion , just much more efficient at the time ....

Those where the days , i argued a lot with some of you , for several reasons , one was that precious PV el. Units could just have ben burnt in an immersion and still Fit payments harvested ..... Long time ago and a i laugh now about my serious ity at the time .

Anyway , i hope i have more luck now as my new Hetpump arrived and i started to connect those 1000 watt of PV i got from the sale when the old forum closed and drove those now from Garage to Garage in Europe .... so i started to connect them , it all takes longer than i thought , the wiring into those boxes is a pain .... i guess i posted befor , that those 10m2 panels will also be used as a dehumidifier , solar heater and electricity supply via an GTI Hope i finf time to get my head arround , that bloody plumbing too

Last edited by billi on Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
billi

Re: hot water heat-pump- PV driven

Post by billi »

Need to think more about how to attach that array to the housewall and how to get the warmth through that window , that will be covered
Mr Gus

Re: hot water heat-pump

Post by Mr Gus »

In the pictures you took, I cannot quite tell, ..are you joining the panels together drilling through the aluminium frames billi? (For added rigidity & less climbing)?
What size drill bit? I need to do the same if so.

Cheers.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
billi

Post by billi »

well , i did the same in Ireland for my first 16 panel 1.6 kw PV to connect 4 pannels with nuts and bolts , pre drilled to a a bigger panel

But screws with a drill head are now available and sure i just screwed through the aluminum
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

On anual pilgrimage to scotland for longest day.
Stopping in a spoons in Peebles tonight .....couldn't help but see heat pump heaven at back of hotel.........
George.
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
billi

Post by billi »

:D OMG .... Hope i will not end up like this ... as keep it simple is the mantra
wookey

Post by wookey »

Resurrecting billi's thread as it has such a sensible title.

What is available in the 'hot water only heat pump' area?

I am currently trying to decide between GSHP, ASHP or air-air units. If I did the latter I'd have to do hot water some other way. It's currently mostly solar thermal, but that's not much good November to Feb. We currently just use a top-mount immersion for 15 mins which works fine, but it'd be nice to use only half the electricity. However small low-power DHW-only HPs don't really seem to be a thing?

I am aware of a couple of tanks with built-in air-to-water HPs, like the Ecocent and the Curv. Is that the full set of options?
From a resource/simplicity perspective just using an immersion for the winter months may actually be the best plan, but with (most) GSHP or ASHP you do get heat-pumped hot water with at least a COP of 2.

There are way too many variables to all this if you put in PV+batteries+HP+heating method+solar thermal (and modern electric tariffs and an EV eventually). So I'm struggling to decide what 'optimum' looks like, but that's a discussion for another thread. Lets keep this one on DHW heat-pump options.
DIY deep 1960's house retrofit: http://wookware.org/house/retrofit
Solar thermal, 3kW PV, MVHR, IWI, EWI, 3G windows, woodburner, perimeter insulation,
Extension, garage conversion, UFH, garden veg
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

One option, which I cannot work out if you have considered as I don't know how you heat your place, is to use the "central heating" (if you have some) to warm the DHW to a warm temperature and the immersion to do the final lift to high temperature. This also goes back to te general discussion about not using just one technology for everything...
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi Wookey,

I think the hot water cylinder equipped with an ASHP is the best route (for me anyway) I am discussing with the wife to get space in the new kitchen design to fit in the cylinder as we don't have one at the minute and space is tight in the cottage but that would put the cylinder where the gas boiler is so pipework should then be relatively easy to sort and the ASHP pipework has one duct hole already cut through the 3ft thick wall (the combi boiler vent).

I think then some crafty work with the ASHP inlet and outlet pipework and some butterfly valves means I can use kitchen hot air in winter as well as the waste heat from the WBS in the lounge as inlet air and vent cold air outside and in summer the inlet is south facing so warm air in and vent the cold air exhaust into the kitchen to cool the house.

That way I can use solar power in the summer for hot water and in the winter I can supplement the grid power with heat from the WBS.

I think that would work ok ?

Oh and there are quite a lot more hot water cylinders with ASHP than the two you mentioned.

Moxi
AGT

Post by AGT »

What about an external insulated lean to construction to house the cylinder?

Might be a good option as it could house the pumps, valves, electrics etc.