should i get a timer for fridge ?

billi

should i get a timer for fridge ?

Post by billi »

Just got a fridge and a small freezer department ...

On the lowest setting , my cooled beer after work , is still too cold to drink (poor Billi :D ) , or on a rational matter it cools way too cold ! What should i do ?

Get a timer that switches that fridge off from time to time ? Why should it run from 12 -6 in the morning ? Or from 9-5 during work hours ? (as an example )

I suppose i just need one hour per day in that cooled "wardrobe" to keep everything cool for a day (if not opened too often )
Bugtownboy

Re: should i get a timer for fridge ?

Post by Bugtownboy »

Worth trying on a higher setting first ? Be worth seeing what the temp actually is, 6o is fine to run a fridge at.

Not sure if switching with a timer messes up defrost cycles etc.

Interested what others views are.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:47 pm Worth trying on a higher setting first ? Be worth seeing what the temp actually is, 6o is fine to run a fridge at.

I suspect billi means the lowest power setting, not the lowest temperature setting.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
billi

Post by billi »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:52 pm
Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:47 pm Worth trying on a higher setting first ? Be worth seeing what the temp actually is, 6o is fine to run a fridge at.

I suspect billi means the lowest power setting, not the lowest temperature setting.
:D i would say, thats what i meant , and just asking as i have that fridge now , is it a modern tick , that everything needs to be iced cooled ?
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Depends what you're keeping in your fridge! Your insulin? I'd keep that cold all-day and night. Beers? Well You could run the timer from midday to 8pm, that way your beers would be cooled come Miller Time™️ and the fridge would use solar power to do so. And your'e not wasting overnight power keeping beers cold 24/7 when you rarely want one at 7am.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Soz :lol:

I agree, sometimes things are just toooo cold to enjoy. Be good to hear ideas though - our fridge/freezer (A+) is probably our biggest electric user on an annual basis.

That 24/7/365 thing.
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

May be an option to doctor the thermostat? If you can find where it's routed, it might be possible change where it lives. If you put it somewhere cooler (next to the a cooler bit) you might make it cool less hard. Mind you, I'm thinking of ye olde fridges. A modern thing with frost free stuff probably works differently.

Might also be worth putting in a 5l bottle of water, if there's not much in there. It may do nothing but might help stop it short cycling and let it control to temperature more effectively.
billi

Post by billi »

I guess i just switch it off
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

amyjones329 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:00 pm No! You'll only reduce the compressor's lifespan and run the danger of having your food spoiled. A refrigerator has a thermostat, which controls when it operates.
?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)