Fridges & freezer for outhouse

Djs63

Fridges & freezer for outhouse

Post by Djs63 »

Hi, researching for fridges and freezers to be sited in a garage and those that mention say range of working is 10C to 40C though one company suggested putting a heater on the thermostat! I can’t picture that....

Anyway does anyone have knowledge of companies equipment which would cope with chilly environments please?
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, 1.8 kWh max PV and solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage
Oldgreybeard

Re: Fridges & freezer for outhouse

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I went through this a year or so ago. I found that finding out whether a freezer could be used in an outbuilding was challenging, as lots of manufacturers just don't mention it. We settled for a small chest freezer that was clearly advertised as being OK for outbuilding use (this one: https://www.electriq.co.uk/p/eiqchest14 ... er-freezer)
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Djs63

Post by Djs63 »

Thank you, and now need a fridge!
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, 1.8 kWh max PV and solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Any fridge which is rated to work at 4 degrees C should be OK? Any lower and the fridge won’t need to work anyway - assuming here you are not looking for a fridge with a freezer box!

The maximum temperature rating will be dependent on the pump size and insulation level.

I don’t know about efficiency and longevity as I have only had thee in 50 years. A Lec with frezer box, a Lec without and the current Bosch (this one has slide-out shelves and no door storage, but at least the door hige had never been heavily loaded 🙂). The only real disadvantage(?) with the ‘bodge’ is that the door needs to be fully opened for access - but that has never bothered us.
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Bit late but I've got a Liebherr G1223 freezer which claims to be ok with external temperatures down to -15C.
AGT

Post by AGT »

What stops the fridge working in the low temperatures?

Would you insulate the back of the fridge/compressor area say with foil blanket, keeping the heat in.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Never had an issue with any freezer make in outhouse/garage......
Currently tho also have a Liebherr -bought as most energy efficient. Claimed 36 hr power cut !! My thoughts were its cheaper to not use electric than invest in production.
Rgds George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
John_S

Post by John_S »

AGT wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:32 pm What stops the fridge working in the low temperatures?

Would you insulate the back of the fridge/compressor area say with foil blanket, keeping the heat in.
The problem mainly exists for combined fridge freezers.
If the temperature is low enough that the fridge does not need to work, the compressor won't run and the freezer will not stay cold enough.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

John_S wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:11 pm
AGT wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:32 pm What stops the fridge working in the low temperatures?

The problem mainly exists for combined fridge freezers.
If the temperature is low enough that the fridge does not need to work, the compressor won't run and the freezer will not stay cold enough.
Why would you want a fridge in your garage/outhouse ?? Just making a tea dear --------- popping to the garage for milk ??
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I know that Beko make fridges/freezers that are fine down to -15℃ They call this “Freezer Guard”.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)