Green Building Forum closing down in 2024

Joeboy

Re: Green Building Forum closing down in 2024

Post by Joeboy »

I am going to sound like a snob. FB et al present an easily accessible platform and apparently even playing field with no hurdle to entry.

Thus it is exposed 🤪 to an endless sea of drivel that is unfiltered at even the most basic level. Although there are some well meaning and helpful folk 👍 out there on those platforms.

We at least have a basic reedbed type filter system to entry. It would be nice to see some of the GBF folk show up. I remember feeling actual relief when we washed up on the shores of green living forum and there were recognisable names and almost faces to be seen. I'd like to do the same for others. Also, we are open to ideas on development. Subgroups etc.

As to forum closure, it is a part of the machine life i suppose? Although there are no such plans for that here.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:38 am
I went on GBF this morning to register and post up a hello. I was surprised to see £24 per year membership and book advertising etc across their front page. No criticism, just unexpected.
That seems insane. A lot of forums seem to have an option to pay a small fee to avoid advertising. That seems sensible to me. But having a fee as a barrier to entry in the first place seems like a strange model to me!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

About ten years ago I paid Green Building Forum £6 to join. . . . and I have certainly gained a lot of useful advice, knowledge and entertainment.

The small GBF entry fee was designed to filter out spammers, time-wasters and bull-product-persons.
However, I'm guessing that the latest * £24 * entry-fee is carrying an effective "go-away" message which seems appropriate in light of its imminent shutdown.

Anyhow, I have taken no further action since I realised that a member of this forum MIGHT be one of the people helping to take over the existing GBF. . . . . and maybe the Preserving of existing membership is a key issue.
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 Kwh Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pump : single-split
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Good to hear that a go of it is being made. All the best!

When the last place shut its doors it was instant. Actually, that's not true. A day was set then the plug was pulled over a week early and that was instant at the flick of a switch.

On the mildest of off-chance that a similar abrupt closure occurred at GBF there should be a known rally 👉. 😀 Now there is, well done!
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees