Green Building Forum closing down in 2024

SporranMcDonald

Green Building Forum closing down in 2024

Post by SporranMcDonald »

Some here will have experience of this forum (GBF) :-
https://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/

It has a lot of worthwhile expertise and a relatively low posting rate.

Various established users are proposing to "take it on" ( as_is, I suppose ). Others suggest migrating to a new forum.

Anyhow, before I put my huge, clumsy, lead-booted foot in it, and suggest - on GBF - that they could sign-up here. I thought I had better check with Galahad & the powers that be, here.
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 Kwh Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pump : single-split
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
Joeboy

Re: Green Building Forum closing down in 2024

Post by Joeboy »

Kind of you to ask, nicely done. They are more than welcome to join. Door is open, grow the borg mind. :D

Another option who very kindly helped us as a rally point when last place imploded.

https://www.thegreenlivingforum.net/forum/index.php

Nice people there. Sorry to hear of another RE forum in trouble. :( Happy to help.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I think we do need some like-minded fresh-blood!

The fun on these forums comes around the design/build of a project. And a lot of us are pretty settled with reliable systems so only minor fettling.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Forums do need to have a regular influx of new members to keep things fresh, interesting and relevant or can unfortunately end up with a few boring old veterans slowly going insane by talking to each other on the same thing over and over again!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:40 pm Forums do need to have a regular influx of new members to keep things fresh, interesting and relevant or can unfortunately end up with a few boring old veterans slowly going insane by talking to each other on the same thing over and over again!
And it is something we’ve struggled with. We get the odd one-post-wonders from time to time. Which is fine, I don’t mind helping people who have a specific question but who aren’t interested in joining our community. But we could do with new blood and to broaden our church.

I’m very interested in self build. Not going to happen for me unless something unexpected happens. But we don’t have many self-builders on here. I’d certainly be interested in more users from that community.

I wonder why the other forums are dying?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 am
dan_b wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:40 pm Forums do need to have a regular influx of new members to keep things fresh, interesting and relevant or can unfortunately end up with a few boring old veterans slowly going insane by talking to each other on the same thing over and over again!
And it is something we’ve struggled with. We get the odd one-post-wonders from time to time. Which is fine, I don’t mind helping people who have a specific question but who aren’t interested in joining our community. But we could do with new blood and to broaden our church.

I’m very interested in self build. Not going to happen for me unless something unexpected happens. But we don’t have many self-builders on here. I’d certainly be interested in more users from that community.

I wonder why the other forums are dying?
Maybe the driver is that they (other forums) were set up with business in mind and that's not cutting it anymore? Or maybe its the platform itself as there is so much competition from other styles.

I went on GBF this morning to register and post up a hello. I was surprised to see £24 per year membership and book advertising etc across their front page. No criticism, just unexpected. If any of you guys are members there, could you maybe post this for me/us? It would be nice to help them out. It was sad to see someone doing a webscrape etc to preserve. Reminded me of our turn in the barrel. I'll grab a link and post up in building section.

"Morning Lads & lassies, I am a part of Camelot RE forum. One of our members mentioned that the Green Building Forum is shutting in 2024. Sorry to hear that as we went through similar when Navitron abruptly closed their doors.

We learned then that it's not great to have an umbrella business over the forum so we set up as private funded. No financial drivers, just doing it for the craick and helping others/sharing experience in RE and associated.

We are in year three of our forum and would be happy to see you guys & gals join in. All the best in 2024 where ever ye go. Cheers, Joeboy

https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php "
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
HML

Post by HML »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 am I wonder why the other forums are dying?
The self build forum (https://forum.buildhub.org.uk//) seems to be thriving, it has a bit of an eco friendly bias, lots of discussion about heat pumps.

I think forums as a breed are dying. Peopl seem to want to use social media (X, reddit etc) rather than forums. Of course most people seem to use their phones for everything nowadays and forums don't tend to work very well on a postage stamp.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

HML wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:21 am
Stinsy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 am I wonder why the other forums are dying?

I think forums as a breed are dying. Peopl seem to want to use social media (X, reddit etc) rather than forums. Of course most people seem to use their phones for everything nowadays and forums don't tend to work very well on a postage stamp.

First it was e-mail lists then usenet until the noughties now you are saying forums are on the wane, they will have to see me out as facebook, twitter, instagram etc. are beyond me
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

I have tried posting on help groups in Facebook, its just not set up properly for getting to the most helpful answer. You never get to see all the answers unless you select 'All comments' and even them most answers are either wrong or nothing about what the original question subject. So I have left all the help groups and just use it for companies who only use Facebook. My profile is very basic and set to private.
HML

Post by HML »

I agree about social media. When I've looked at Facebook it seems to be a disorganised stream of consciousness mess with no usable search function (that I've found) so those pearls of wisdom disappear in a couple of days. X is run by a sociopath.

I like forums, they're organised and searchable and text based. The good ones are well moderated and have a reasonably polite and helpful community, but they need someone to give the time and effort to maintain them. That seems to be the issue with the GBF; the owner doesn't want to maintain it anymore. Of course, that's another disadvantage of forums, the owner can close them at will with no notice. That happened to the predecessor of the self build forum (not to mention the predecessor of this forum.)