Use for damp plasterboard?

CharlieB

Use for damp plasterboard?

Post by CharlieB »

Annoyingly all the spare plasterboard from our building project got left outside by the contractor so it's unusable as plasterboard. Any thoughts on what it might be good for? I'm thinking it might work as a binder mixed with stone to fill in pot holes? Or could be chopped up and added to compost heap?? Clutching at straws really to avoid having to landfill it all. (It's an annoyingly large amount that they over ordered as well.)
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
A little bit of solar thermal
Kommando

Re: Use for damp plasterboard?

Post by Kommando »

Deepbed potatoes.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

CharlieB wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:44 pm Or could be chopped up and added to compost heap??
I think that will produce hydrogen sulphide, which is why they don't want it in a landfill with domestic waste.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/ ... clable.php

sounds like the best option is recycle, using it at home sounds like a chance to cause issues.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

No potential to let it dry out so someone could line a shed or similar on free cycle?
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Excuse copy and paste -
Gypsum is also called Hydrous Calcium Sulphate because one molecule of calcium sulphate is combined with
two molecules of water. Its chemical formula is CaSO4 · 2H 2O. By volume this works out to nearly 50% water.
This water is called "Water of Crystallization." It is held in the gypsum molecule and is only driven off at
temperatures above 212° F, just as steam is driven off from boiling the contained water. This is why gypsum
drywall is so good in fire.
Plaster of Paris, as stated above, is the result of cooking gypsum and driving most of the water from the
mineral (CaSO4 · 2H 2O) forming a thirsty powder. It is a solid to solid phase change; requiring heat (212° F) to
turn gypsum to Plaster of Paris and steam, then when water is added to Plaster of Paris it turns to gypsum
giving off heat. This reaction can be repeated endlessly, requiring or exhausting the exact same amount of
energy per phase change!
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

If you want to create curved plasterboard the method I was informed of involved wetting the PB then leavig it supported at opposing edges with a weight in the middle. Repeating the process unti you get the desired amount of curve then leaving the board to dry before use.

Dpenng on how wet and damaged the boards are they should dry out - remember when wet plastered they and the finishing plaster usually need a few days to dry before sealing/painting. Obviously if the boards hav literally desintigrated or are covered in mould different situation.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Many thanks all. Yes, it does look like recycling is the answer. Good to know that the local recycling centre will take them.

I'll certainly keep some of the less bad bits for filling in holes, etc, but not worth putting on freecycle I think.
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
A little bit of solar thermal
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

CharlieB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:38 pm Many thanks all. Yes, it does look like recycling is the answer. Good to know that the local recycling centre will take them.

I'll certainly keep some of the less bad bits for filling in holes, etc, but not worth putting on freecycle I think.
If it’s like our recycling centre, they do charge for plasterboard disposal.

Be worth checking the cost - when I tried to get rid of some small off cuts it was silly money.
nowty

Post by nowty »

I went to our local tip today and after having to pay for such item disposal, there have changed their policy to allow DIY waste but limited to 6 bags per 4 weeks.

I recall some one posting a change to national policy a few months back.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3