Cavity wall recommendations near Edinburgh

CharlieB

Cavity wall recommendations near Edinburgh

Post by CharlieB »

Hp installation has made it clear that our single -storey 80s extension has no cavity wall insulation.

Before I get lost on Google can anyone recommend either a local contractor or a national contractor who are nice and straightforward?

Also, which is the right / wrong material for it? I remember dampness horror stories but I can’t remember the details. (We’re pretty exposed here so I doubt damp would be a problem.)

Thanks. C
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
A little bit of solar thermal
CharlieB

Re: Cavity wall recommendations near Edinburgh

Post by CharlieB »

No one?

How about has anyone had a bad experience? Ie any contractors to avoid?

C
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
A little bit of solar thermal
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I read up on CWI then did my own insulation while allowing airflow. I'd really like CWI to be a silver bullet but what with the damp issues, cowboyitis and HUGE mortgage problems i think this is too hot a potato to just chuck advice at willy nilly.

I'll throw this out for shooting down. Air circulation in the living space and within the walls is key to the long term health of a building and its inhabitants. CWI can seriously mess with the balance. Have at it!
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

My place a 1970's blockrender/block house has CWI, you can see it creeping out the top of the walls in the loft and the injection holes. Its like an offwhite foamy type of stuff that crumbles to dust when you rub it between your fingers. No idea at all what its made from but looks like some sort of injected foam.

Anyway, im frontline coastal on the North Cornwall coast, so very wet and very windy, but ive not noticed anything detrimental for the CWI i have. Not a single sign of damp or mould spores anywhere during the last 12 years.

Not sure if thats anyuse, i suppose a lot of the issues can be down to the installers.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation