dan_b

Eden Project North

Post by dan_b »

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Re: Eden Project North

Post by Mr Gus »

Having only ever been once & spent a good 6+ hours in the Eden project bio spheres it was set up well but filthy expensive.
The big old statue!? ..of spent dysons etc didn't do much for me, no poignancy, I hope when they finally took it down a few years back it was properly recycled though!

Far better than the millennium some "experience" that the taxpayer got shafted on with access to only a few.
I understand the regeneration aspect for the Eden site, the initial access was not great (location size it was out on a limb) so I am wary in one way that two sites may affect viability, but yes way less of a trek for admission to something you already contributed to via the lottery.

How much to re-skin the things when the some fabric needs replacing (whilst protecting the plants)
Last time we considered a second trip there was to be a big music festival with limited access.. thus we've not been since when in the area.

Being keen on paul spooner automata, the under of the pier show etc (automata novelty penchant) my abiding memory of Eden was the neglected time consuming creation that was being ignored (they need regular servicing) ..gutted!
it was a Keith Newstead piece
https://www.keithnewsteadautomata.com/my-work/
Is the northern eden getting "northern renewal money" just to create sh1te service industry jobs? ..that does concern me if so!

EDIT: I see they are initially asking for £70 million of £125 million "estimated"

"Eden has submitted a business case to the UK Government, asking for a £70m public investment in the £125m project. The business case shows that this investment would be paid back many times over in economic benefit for the region.

Then where is the rest of the budget coming from?? & where do they get there money from? .. does it look like tax money human centipede type thing throughout !?

Bearing in mind the ticket prices, the expectation of every school to add coffers to a council owned entity like many cack on your doorstep school residentials councils own, in the poorer areas, especially as yet another likely decade long financial squeeze is on.

Our own daughter missed out (luckily) on some of these because a week away costing around £350 to be 6 miles from her doorstep as the crow flies.
(we called it the school money funnel) ..a repetition encountered in beavers, cubs etc.. sigh!

"The Grimshaw-designed project is being delivered by the team behind the first Eden Project, alongside local partners Lancaster University, Lancaster City Council, Lancashire County Council and the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership, and is one of the key projects in Eden’s plans to expand around the UK and the world

Can we please have "industry" for the north that aint service, ice cream soft scoop, barista's etc if we are going to fund such a thing?

What was the state of play for eden during covid? losses? ...pinch-point has been reached for many regional councils prior to the covid event, how does the quoted "providing payback many times over" fit into loans & time, we already get naff value for money when it comes to road repairs & council tax type services..

EDEN 1 whilst "ok" came at a time pre internet information overload I see tickets for 1x adult are minimum £29.50 (offpeak) through £35 (peak)
Pricey for a family 2+2 visiting from afar never likely to use the annual pass *cough*
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more