Australia, learning to be green?

Djs63

Australia, learning to be green?

Post by Djs63 »

Have travelled to the ends of the earth, well Australia at least. We have planted acres of trees and we are trying to be “green” but meeting the grand kids etc is important. But it is a troubling journey.

But on the coast north of Sydney many houses are not well insulated from cold or heat though many have light coloured roofs. Very few PV panels or solar hot water systems to be seen though black plastic coils on the roof to heat the pool are fairly common. The family’s house is high on a hill so we can sample many roof tops! But lots of house have rainwater collection used to flush loos.

Hybrid cars are becoming popular, and one important point is that charging points are rare at present so a car which can be charged at home from an ordinary domestic socket is a good thing, but it does mean that it would take a long time to fill a pure battery car eg 20 hours at 3 kWh/ hour.

Everything is spread out, small population in unbelievably large country, so vehicles with long range capabilities are a must. But the State governments are trying to develop charging points at frequent intervals along busy routes but no sign of free charging at the supermarket.

And no wind turbines or fields of PV panels that I can see. The new government may be greener...... But all in all, I don’t think we have much to learn from yet, apart from rainwater collection and use perhaps.
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, 1.8 kWh max PV and solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage
Stinsy

Re: Australia, learning to be green?

Post by Stinsy »

Australia is very backward when it comes to environmental issues. Somewhat surprising seeing as they are on the front-line of climate change. Their electricity is overwhelmingly fossil fuel generated with less than 1% renewables. Again surprising due to the amount of sunshine and space.

Water is precious in Australia. The groundwater that does exist is mostly brackish. Therefore it is unsurprising that they’re ahead of the curve on grey-water collection and domestic use.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Ken

Post by Ken »

The federal gov just ousted was useless and against RE and pro coal.
The state govs are much more on the case and the South Aus state has done way with coal and is something like on about 85% RE average and at times 100%. In some parts domestic PV is at 1in 3.

I read this sight everyday https://reneweconomy.com.au/ Down the right side of the page is how the seperate states are producing leccy.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I've been fascinated by Aus and RE for about a decade. The people seem very pro-RE, some of the states very pro-RE, the country itself is pro-RE with fantastic and cheap wind and PV generation, they have a staggering amount of residential PV (25% I think last time I checked) ..... but the (old) Gov was terrified about losing coal and gas exports, which seemed to make them naturally supportive of FF's for self use.

Similar issues with BEV's, but the dam is breaking.

Golden oldie that still makes me laugh everytime I watch it:

Honest Government Ad | Electric Vehicles
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mart wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:17 pm I've been fascinated by Aus and RE for about a decade. The people seem very pro-RE, some of the states very pro-RE, the country itself is pro-RE with fantastic and cheap wind and PV generation, they have a staggering amount of residential PV (25% I think last time I checked) ..... but the (old) Gov was terrified about losing coal and gas exports, which seemed to make them naturally supportive of FF's for self use.

Mart, do you have a comparison figure for UK rez pv uptake? I have no idea what it would be.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

Joeboy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:28 pm
Mart wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:17 pm I've been fascinated by Aus and RE for about a decade. The people seem very pro-RE, some of the states very pro-RE, the country itself is pro-RE with fantastic and cheap wind and PV generation, they have a staggering amount of residential PV (25% I think last time I checked) ..... but the (old) Gov was terrified about losing coal and gas exports, which seemed to make them naturally supportive of FF's for self use.

Mart, do you have a comparison figure for UK rez pv uptake? I have no idea what it would be.
Off the top of my head I think it's roughly one million. Not sure how many 'homes' there are, I think there are over 25m 'residences' which will of course include flats and the such. So 1/25th or so, perhaps 3-4%.

Not only does Aus have better generation than us, around 1,600-1,800kWh/kWp, v's 1,000kWh for the UK, but they have a much smaller variance across the year with worst to best months of about 2:3, whereas the UK is about 1:4.

Similar spread in Spain, which I've always thought is where PV + batts + heatpump really come into there own when you have less heat demand, and a more consistent generation.

Roll on those UK domestic VAWTs that promise so much, and deliver ..... ummmm nowt?
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mart wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:36 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Off the top of my head I think it's roughly one million. Not sure how many 'homes' there are, I think there are over 25m 'residences' which will of course include flats and the such. So 1/25th or so, perhaps 3-4%.

Not only does Aus have better generation than us, around 1,600-1,800kWh/kWp, v's 1,000kWh for the UK, but they have a much smaller variance across the year with worst to best months of about 2:3, whereas the UK is about 1:4.

Similar spread in Spain, which I've always thought is where PV + batts + heatpump really come into there own when you have less heat demand, and a more consistent generation.

Roll on those UK domestic VAWTs that promise so much, and deliver ..... ummmm nowt?
That is indeed a huge gap. I hope the shift to more RE continues with the new PM.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Djs63

Post by Djs63 »

Mart, thank you for the link to the spoof but realistic government message. Having been here for a week the video seems very realistic and no wonder the previous government lost!
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, 1.8 kWh max PV and solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage