Dubai Lamps

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Joeboy

Re: Dubai Lamps

Post by Joeboy »

Now there's a coincidence. I bought these a couple of days ago after feeling how hot the oven canopy was getting during the induction hob install. 40W to 4W per unit.
Before
After

£2 a pop from ebay led world.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:46 pm Now there's a coincidence. I bought these a couple of days ago after feeling how hot the oven canopy was getting during the induction hob install. 40W to 4W per unit.

The Calnex 470 lumen one is only 2.2W so you could almost double the savings again but I guess it wont fit.
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:02 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:46 pm Now there's a coincidence. I bought these a couple of days ago after feeling how hot the oven canopy was getting during the induction hob install. 40W to 4W per unit.

The Calnex 470 lumen one is only 2.2W so you could almost double the savings again but I guess it wont fit.
I think I'll stay with these one's. Can't tell the difference. Even with my bionic eye. ;) Amazing how the tech and performance of the humble light bulb has come on.

Now Watt will I do with those spare 72W's. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Found another couple of bulbs to change out. They were pulling 11W each. Also removed an Alexa which had 15W printed on it. Add it all up and it will be over 100kWh pa. (£5.50). :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:52 pm Found another couple of bulbs to change out. They were pulling 11W each. Also removed an Alexa which had 15W printed on it. Add it all up and it will be over 100kWh pa. (£5.50). :lol:
Not on my tariff from 1/10 - £51 pa. Makes it a little more sensible to keep on chasing the kW. BT ‘kindly’ gave us a booster so that we could reach everywhere in the house with Wi-Fi (could anyway).

Can’t remember what it was rated, but it had a marked impact on our usage - sent it back. It’s these little things that are on 24/7/365.

A lot of them are not essential - why not keep your kW for things that are, whether you pay or not.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I switched our oven extractor lights out for led some 5+ years ago, it makes me wonder how many ponder halogen are still going, it's automatic for me to check (get dazzled) especially in lifts & the likes, hopefully it's days are well & truly numbered.

In our conservatory a couple of years ago I swappied out some old low energy Philips for led I forgot that the £1 Philips specials are 3 state brightness (rapid flicking on & off) ..but never forget that's what I fitted in the hallway, ...cursing silently & thinking "I'm sure it should be brighter than this" ..but thinking, "this is great" having that added controlability elsewhere, same evening.

That's how brain injuries take/ make you though!

Oh, forgot, hardly use The extractor fan these days due to The instantpot, where it would be needed when The oven is on (more often than not) I have to remember to NOT turn it one ..wassat!? 120w 2 stage fan rendered nigh on redundant? ..yes please.
The tiny dopamine rush (and, ...it's gone") smashing the Wattage down never gets old :D
Last edited by Mr Gus on Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Pre-LED (well ‘affordable) we had, in the last house, 14x50W Halogens, 16 if you count the hood. How far we’ve come in potentially reducing usage in a relatively short time.

Does everyone (not those on here) chase usage ?

Least with the last kitchen, we didn’t need the heating on :lol:
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:57 pm Pre-LED (well ‘affordable) we had, in the last house, 14x50W Halogens, 16 if you count the hood. How far we’ve come in potentially reducing usage in a relatively short time.

My experience is that very few people understand how usage adds up, and how to go about reducing it with little or no inconvenience. Was at a friends for lunch a few weeks ago, he was moaning about his electricity bill (as is everyone at the moment it seems). After lunch I walked around their house and in the space of about ten minutes had identified easy savings of around 2kWh/day. Not a lot, but that was probably costing them about 70p/day, so an instant and painless saving of around £20/month. That was without looking at investing in LED lamps, etc, or replacing the monster halogen security lights they have outside.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:57 pm Pre-LED (well ‘affordable) we had, in the last house, 14x50W Halogens, 16 if you count the hood. How far we’ve come in potentially reducing usage in a relatively short time.

I felt the s/s canopy and thought 'oh, missed these'. Heat straight up and out! Luckily we were not in the habit of running those lights all the time. They are hooked into the under cabinet 'ambience' ;) circuit and due to the new induction hob live affair are on now when the underlights go on. It looks very 😎

I like the 'potential' 💡. At one point we had something like 48 Gu10 40W bulbs running. They are now on 4W equivalent.

A shocking potential of 16.819MWh pa reduced to 1.6819MWh pa. Absolutely mind blowing 🤯.

Nowadays I am playing for the principle as the heavy lifting is done.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The lights I fitted under our wall mounted kitchen units, are just cheap LED strips from eBay, with a 12V power supply tucked away in the cabinets. They are wired using these wireless switches (have loads of these, they are brilliant): https://www.quinetic.co.uk/

I hid the strips from direct view by just fitting a matching oak trim (left over bit of oak door shut strip (sure there's a proper name for it) glued along the front edge of the underside of the wall units, with the LED strip stuck behind it, out of sight. Works a treat, and instead of the very power hungry 5050 or 5630 LED strip I used outside, for the kitchen I used the much lower power 3528 strip, that only draws about 1W per metre or so.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter