Window insulation

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
AE-NMidlands

Re: Window insulation

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:11 am
  • We frequently get condensation on the outside pane of the triple-glazed in the morning. Even though the inside is heated to room temperature the outside pane is so cold that morning air condenses on it.
I have noticed that at the outside bottom of the panes on my double glazing and struggle to explain it.
I guessed it is that the glass (like railway rails) radiates heat to clear skies faster than the conduction from the air round it replaces the heat and then downward convection (replacing the air cooled by contact) brings more slightly warmer and hence more moisture-laden air into contact with the surface again.
It's a mystery!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:15 pm
Rather than magnetic tape i'd be looking for an active seal. This can be achieved with an edge seal on the inner side of the added pane, strat placed sucker cups and the tolerance between the compression of the sucker cup to grip and the action of the seal itself. You'll always have some moisture as the air has humidity on install and if the seal is effective this moisture will condensate on the 2nd existing DG pane. Could go crazy and fit a shraeder valve to the added pane and pull a vac on it but likely collapse the pane or all least buckle it.

This isn't simple at all. I shall report back with outcome here at Casa De Bongo once gear arrives. :)
I like that idea, although I'd worry about the aesthetic impact (you know how some people are!).

Is an active seal like that really necessary though? In order to have the insulating impact, you just need to trap a cavity of -largely- stationary air. Even if there's a hole somewhere, so long as it's small enough it won't screw up the reduction in the U-value too much. Your proposal, though, would be far less likely to suffer from a rapid build up of moisture and therefore misting. But I think the magnetic approach would be easy to remove, wipe, then replace.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Classic FM on, happy days. Crafting for the planet! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Already there is 0.7 deg difference between the yellow post it note and the insulated windows. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Joe, that shape is begging to be skip offcut insulated with some tape sealed celotex or summat over (rabbi) burns-eason.

I'm looking at that ceiling shape & thinking if the WBS heats that area too then its likely a major source of ceiling funnelled heat loss when the burn is in full effect.
(stash it elsewhere in the off season) ..nice as the material is, less cumbersome & lightweight.

"winterise baby" ;)

We've had some celotex in the bathroom over the 1/2 the window for over a decade I removed it the other week, noticed the difference next morning.

(going to glue a mirror to it)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:12 pm Joe, that shape is begging to be skip offcut insulated with some tape sealed celotex or summat over (rabbi) burns-eason.

I'm looking at that ceiling shape & thinking if the WBS heats that area too then its likely a major source of ceiling funnelled heat loss when the burn is in full effect.
(stash it elsewhere in the off season) ..nice as the material is, less cumbersome & lightweight.

"winterise baby" ;)

We've had some celotex in the bathroom over the 1/2 the window for over a decade I removed it the other week, noticed the difference next morning.

(going to glue a mirror to it)
Cheers Gus but this is about as far as I can push it this year. We've cut a couple of sq mtrs of heat sucking out of the house so that'll do for the moment. :D
Happy wife/Happy life type thing. The two triangular surfaces are 0.7 degs warmer for sure. Outdoors is 11.5 degs indoors is 19.3 degs on the triangles with the other unblinded windows at same level at 18.6 degs.

The job itself was cut a template from brown paper of window glass, cut a thermawrap shape to match, cut a blind to match. Spray glue the thermawrap, apply blind material. Leave to set then bradle thru holes for the threaded sucker cups. Fit in place on window, job done. It does in part come down to aesthetics so I stop here. :roll:

Apparently this stuff is the equiv of 40mm Celotex. I'm not convinced of that but it is doing a great job and 24/7 going forward until Spring. The side door is also done so we'll be generous and say 3 sqmtr covered total.

That's the rain on, i'll just chuck another log on!

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yeah the rating has always been iffy for those foils, a decade has passed & we are no nearer to putting that one to bed.

Some insulation is always better than no insulation, as long as no-one's ripped off for the stuff along with the "equivalent" claim.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

So, while we’re on the subject of windows :)

We live in a 1930’s house, reasonable insulation, most windows replacement DG. We have a really nice, original, round stained glass window at the bottom of the stairs (90o turn, very small ‘landing’).

The window suffers from condensation from about now through to March. It is obviously very poor from a thermal perspective.

Do I live with it ? Install a secondary fixed pain (the internal aperture frame) is square with a cill ? Or even a secondary DG unit ?

I don’t want to mess with the window itself. I’m sure the heat loss is minor, but as Joe attests, every little bit helps.

The glazed area is 45cm in diameter.

My hesitance in constructing either a single or DG unit, is the thought of condensation still occurring on the stained glass that’s now sealed behind a secondary piece of glazing.

Any thoughts welcome.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:54 pm So, while we’re on the subject of windows :)

We live in a 1930’s house, reasonable insulation, most windows replacement DG. We have a really nice, original, round stained glass window at the bottom of the stairs (90o turn, very small ‘landing’).

The window suffers from condensation from about now through to March. It is obviously very poor from a thermal perspective.

Do I live with it ? Install a secondary fixed pain (the internal aperture frame) is square with a cill ? Or even a secondary DG unit ?

I don’t want to mess with the window itself. I’m sure the heat loss is minor, but as Joe attests, every little bit helps.

The glazed area is 45cm in diameter.

My hesitance in constructing either a single or DG unit, is the thought of condensation still occurring on the stained glass that’s now sealed behind a secondary piece of glazing.

Any thoughts welcome.
Gareth C has a secondary glazing system that might be just the ticket BTB?

I am seeing immediate gains here as attested by my son on entering the big room today after work. 'Bloody hell Dad, some difference'. In saying that the thermal blinds are warmer on the inside than the triangular inserts but the triangular inserts are warmer than bare glazing. With the bare glazing being 7 degs warmer on the inside pane than outdoor temps earlier. That last isn't relevant really as the gap is now 12 degs as the WS hits its stride and external temps drop. Certainly for an awkward to address shape or space the aforementioned solution is good but it's not better than a good air gapped thermal blind.
Hopefully Gareth C will get beyond the shy bit and crack on with a show n tell. What's the worst that can happen? :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

I’m intrigued, and waiting in anticipation, of Gareth C’s launch - even if it’s a restricted forum only ;)

The one thing that really gets me at this time of year, and not wanting to you know what on your parade Joe, is light levels.

I don’t get depressed in the SAD type of way, just frustrated when it’s grey and bleepy miserable :evil: love light in the house.

Perhaps, to paraphrase Harry Nilsson, “Move where the weather suits my home”