More air fryer comparisons ..& boy I'm hyped. Instantpot gourmet crisp.

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Joeboy

Re: More air fryer comparisons ..& boy I'm hyped. Instantpot gourmet crisp.

Post by Joeboy »

Just trying out a banana n coconut loaf. 30 mins at 175. Will photo this one. ;)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

:D
Took 40 minutes at 175, moist. :shock: :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Daughter who doesn't like baked potatoes, who ate a garlic & cornishsea salt one last night, ..asked for another tonight, only 2x BIGGER 😂

As did the wife who is stopping off for a big chicken & some fresh chicken wings to "give the olive oil bowl toss treatment to" the
(daughter didn't even wince when I mentioned some fruity cholula sorta-hot sauce for some air-fry wing experimenting)

Wonders will never cease.

I got to thinking that the 5 litre can of olive oil she picked up at Costco last weekend isn't going to last anywhere near as long as I thought.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 pm Daughter who doesn't like baked potatoes, who ate a garlic & cornishsea salt one last night, ..asked for another tonight, only 2x BIGGER 😂

As did the wife who is stopping off for a big chicken & some fresh chicken wings to "give the olive oil bowl toss treatment to" the
(daughter didn't even wince when I mentioned some fruity cholula sorta-hot sauce for some air-fry wing experimenting)

Wonders will never cease.

I got to thinking that the 5 litre can of olive oil she picked up at Costco last weekend isn't going to last anywhere near as long as I thought.
Great stuff! Rotisserie chicken trial for us tomorrow.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Trussed chickens must be referred to as LIZ, naturally.

Coat on, ..dog needs walking anyway!
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

2.204kg / 4 lb 14 oz chicken in the regular 8 litre instantpot this morning, cook time via "poultry button" 1 hr after pressurisation, after which I will separate stock juices & stick into the air fryer (shook = too big for inner basket so will be done like a few slices of bacon were in the main pot.

Interestingly enough the other week we did a similar chicken in the smaller 5.7 litre instantpot which overworked it (a lesson in going large not xl for the student pot) it closed & locked on that occasion but didn't get to fill pressure (as per the pop up pressure indicator) but cooked regardless, gave it extra time, then finished via small oven crisping having sliced it (chook) open to check degree of cook ..which was just fine.

It works out cheaper to share a big chicken with our dogs than an allegedly decent tray at £1.10 per unit, cut into 6 blocks that is a total of 3 portions of meat for one dog & plastic + card + plastic-foil lid waste, ..of which in the not weather they have been ignoring anyway when given with their "crave" complete small bite kibble biscuit.

Hoping for a good energy saving result, (dogs appreciate crispy skin too)

So far, not being a big consumer of deep fry food, the air fryer has given more food appreciation with regular oven baked foodstuffs done faster & better, getting us back to more complete home assembly & scratch cooking ..a very good thing.

Wife & kiddo enjoyed the lighter puffed crisper batter & gentle (moister) air fryer chicken tempura fillets last night which took 10 mins from the fridge at 185c thrown in after the baked spuds cooked for 40 mins at 204c (I tried a small tempura "bite" & just ate an old portion of basmati rice with some kikkomans, ..with rice I / we have studiously avoided washing rice as a water saver, but now I'm convinced it is necessary, ..sadly cannot give starchy rice water to the dogs (whose water consumption is around 3 litres per day) due to bowl contamination potential, so I've got to shed out where beyond plants it can be stored & deployed. (Any suggestions)?

Please excuse the amount of meaning cooked in coming days, it's a learning curve to eat less overall, but inspiration & learning are best learnt practically, portioning, freezing & revival are part of the plan.

Looking forward to playing with a mackerel in the air fryer & gauging *if* it makes fish in a shared environment less invasive, ...another point this far is less need for the overhead extraction compared to the regular oven in use, ..anyone else find this with their air fryer units?

I also need to find a decent larder was mounted "spare lid one" hanger which has been the only bad point this far. (a 5.7 litre regular i.p fits in a roll out 1/2 draw unit ..lid off, silicone lid covering on, but the extra height of the larger unit means it sits when not used on top of the rice barrel (food safe Jenny chem lidded bucket)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:19 am Looking forward to playing with a mackerel in the air fryer & gauging *if* it makes fish in a shared environment less invasive, ...another point this far is less need for the overhead extraction compared to the regular oven in use, ..anyone else find this with their air fryer units?
Gus, local restaurant (Lyme Regis) does KFM fillets - Mackerel fried with a Southern Spicy coating. Absolutely superb. Really complements the mackerel well.

If you want to play about with ideas, I could recommend it - unfortunately, don’t have the recipe, but I’m sure you can improvise. Sure it’d suit the air fryer well.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Thanks for that.

I'll try a basic smoked mackerel fillet then a paprika salt, & a chilli n salt (Cornish sea salt) & see how it go's then try some sticky varieties, ..slow burn as soon it will be just me as the mackerel water again with kid off to plymouth.

I'm hoping pungency levels will prove favourable & be limited, may increase folks fish intake (as long as it isn't cod.

Nb, part of the "fish n chip" energy & cost woes is that around 40% of chippy cod is landed by Russian factory ship trawler fleets, ..yet another reason to avoid cod.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Did seem a flour/Paprika/dry spice type coating.

I’m usually a fish as fresh as poss, don’t muck about with it person, but the KFM is really good. Paired with an interesting salad, super meal.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Being fens edge, fresh fish ..isnt, (thus stuff myself with good stuff on the rare days I'm at the coast)
Now have reason to go deep sea fishing on the south coast & compare it to wester ross & Iceland ... The country, not shop.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS