Window insulation

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Stinsy

Re: Window insulation

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:24 pm I’m intrigued, and waiting in anticipation, of Gareth C’s launch - even if it’s a restricted forum only ;)

The one thing that really gets me at this time of year, and not wanting to you know what on your parade Joe, is light levels.

I don’t get depressed in the SAD type of way, just frustrated when it’s grey and bleepy miserable :evil: love light in the house.

Perhaps, to paraphrase Harry Nilsson, “Move where the weather suits my home”
The interesting question is: How does the balance between: windows leaking heat, windows creating solar gain, windows allowing natural light in… work?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:24 pm I’m intrigued, and waiting in anticipation, of Gareth C’s launch - even if it’s a restricted forum only ;)

The one thing that really gets me at this time of year, and not wanting to you know what on your parade Joe, is light levels.

I don’t get depressed in the SAD type of way, just frustrated when it’s grey and bleepy miserable :evil: love light in the house.

Hopefully he will respond soon. I have come to an awareness that I am turning my big back room (!) Into a high end Yurt. The only light required comes from the stove, Yankee candles and a few lava lamps. As Gus says, hunker down and Winterise. :)

In addition and as I've sealed the house and without an MVHR system, ventilation is critical. We manage this daily and have seen no downside so far. Heats great but moisture must be managed?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:55 pm The interesting question is: How does the balance between: windows leaking heat, windows creating solar gain, windows allowing natural light in… work?
From the perspective (!) of my ‘problem’ with the stained glass window, solar gain isn’t really an issue. The house is almost perfectly square (was until we unbalanced it with an extension) !

The stained glass window faces due east (maybe a couple of degrees off). There’s also shading from a hedge on the same plane.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:00 pm

Hopefully he will respond soon. I have come to an awareness that I am turning my big back room (!) Into a high end Yurt. The only light required comes from the stove, Yankee candles and a few lava lamps. As Gus says, hunker down and Winterise. :)

In addition and as I've sealed the house and without an MVHR system, ventilation is critical. We manage this daily and have seen no downside so far. Heats great but moisture must be managed?
Stove is good for ventilation, it’ll pull fresh air in through the cracks and push old stale air up the chimney.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:00 pm

Stove is good for ventilation, it’ll pull fresh air in through the cracks and push old stale air up the chimney.
Fair play mate but it's room sealed and draws from the underfloor. Looks like we will go into Nov with no GCH, a personal best! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:54 pm So, while we’re on the subject of windows :)

We live in a 1930’s house, reasonable insulation, most windows replacement DG. We have a really nice, original, round stained glass window at the bottom of the stairs (90o turn, very small ‘landing’).

The window suffers from condensation from about now through to March. It is obviously very poor from a thermal perspective.

Do I live with it ? Install a secondary fixed pain (the internal aperture frame) is square with a cill ? Or even a secondary DG unit ?

I don’t want to mess with the window itself. I’m sure the heat loss is minor, but as Joe attests, every little bit helps.

The glazed area is 45cm in diameter.

My hesitance in constructing either a single or DG unit, is the thought of condensation still occurring on the stained glass that’s now sealed behind a secondary piece of glazing.

Any thoughts welcome.

Hi BTB, you've got two reasonable options,
first you could get a DG window fitted in the hole that would allow you to fit the de-framed stained glass as a secondary pane with beading and sealant,

or; you could get the stained glass sandwiched into a triple glazed unit then bung that in the frame, the second option aint cheap but it works a treat in terms of heat efficiency and saving the stained glass from further weathering. DG makers can be a bit squeaky about the second option as they are all bound by the FENSA rulebook, but if you find one they can usually be sweet talked into helping out.

HTH

Desp
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

It’s glazed into a circular brickwork external aperture, square on the inside.

Is it possible to create a circular, sealed DG sandwich ?

I don’t want to lose the aesthetic of the stained glass fitting the brickwork. Not asking too much :roll:
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

They can make a DG/TG unit any shape you like. Is the glass glazed directly into the brickwork? that's quite unusual if so. One issue with sandwiching an existing pane is that either the finished size is a bit larger than originally, or you would need to trim off a little bit of the original to end up with a unit the same overall size as the original. It is all do-able but that is why it aint cheap.

Desp

PS these people have helped us a lot over the years

https://christieglass.co.uk/fancy-leads.php
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

It’s glazed into a circular wooden frame in the brickwork - didn’t describe it well enough. I blame the vino tinto :shock:

So a circular DG sandwich is possible ?

From my perspective, it becomes, potentially disruptive/destructive to remove the window, then expensive to sandwich, create the frame and refit.

Some form of secondary glazing I can diy for a relatively small amount. Thermally pretty good, aesthetically I can make it look good - it’s just the issue of interstitial condensation and, if the secondary glazing is fixed, the impact it would have.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

spread-tee wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:47 pm They can make a DG/TG unit any shape you like. Is the glass glazed directly into the brickwork? that's quite unusual if so. One issue with sandwiching an existing pane is that either the finished size is a bit larger than originally, or you would need to trim off a little bit of the original to end up with a unit the same overall size as the original. It is all do-able but that is why it aint cheap.

Desp

PS these people have helped us a lot over the years

https://christieglass.co.uk/fancy-leads.php
As Desp says, can easy buy a double glazed unit sans frame. Can then seal neatly and finish in whichever fashion/beading. You might see a little condensation between the coloured and the inside pane of the new DG unit. Can offset that with a bit of pre heating air treatment in that area before sealing the DG unit in place.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs