Dubai Lamps

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Mr Gus

Re: Dubai Lamps

Post by Mr Gus »

Never forget stig, a good few people here have gone to great lengths, we don't necessarily represent the average man in the street.

In which case, it can apply to those who had shedloads of ceiling holes in kitchens for excessive downlighter lighting "needs" (halogen hell type thing) or when we moved in 6 x 100 watt bulbs,& a big halogen in the kitchen, & another 100w bulb in the larder, 2x 60 w bulbs? in the extractor unit.

Around 970 watts in the kitchen :shock:

We need to scrape more details on how this has been taken up in the locale the Dubai lamp is available.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Stig wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:00 am As an electronics engineer I can appreciate the design but lighting is a very very small proportion of my energy use. Considering how much energy Dubai must use on air-con you'd have thought they'd have other priorities...
But the air con can run by day when the pv is working - i imagine they get a fair amount of sunshine in dubai - the lights are more commonly used at night, so have to be powered another way.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
John_S

Post by John_S »

nowty wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:03 pm There seems to be a half way house version available from Philips but I cannot find anywhere they are sold, not even via the links, "where to buy" !

https://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/cons ... -efficient
Sold here
https://www.dmlights.co.uk/philips_lamp ... WEQAvD_BwE

Imported from Belgium
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

£8.70... plus £12 shipping: Ouch! I wonder whether there is duty and VAT on top (of both) to be paid by the recipient too?

A holiday in Belgium beckons... (or buying a whole dozen to share around...) However, seeing as they are only 485 lm (which I think are equivalent to about 40W) I don't think I shall be bothering. We want about the old 100W in a central pendant in our big old rooms. (plus an uplighter/ reading lamp over our shoulders)
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
John_S

Post by John_S »

A slightly different version of the Dubai lamp is now available in the UK from John Lewis and others.
£11.99 for 4w 840 lumen and £8.99 for 2.3W 485 lumen

Reviewed here by BigClive

snootsandfruits

Post by snootsandfruits »

I've been contemplating buying one of these just to see what it's like, and perhaps use somewhere like the downstairs hall, but I'm pretty sure the horrible colour rendering will upset me greatly so for most fixtures I'm going to hold out as long as I can until some A/B rated >90 Ra and R9 lamps appear on the scene.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I like these!

I bought a bunch of Phillips LED bulbs over 10 years ago, back when they were heavy metal things with funny yellow filters. They cost me £50 each, but the quality of light was really good (compared to the CFLs they replaced) and they're all still as good today as they where when I bought them.

Since then the LED market has become more and more price-driven. You're lucky to get a few years out of an LED and the quality of light can be poor.

These "Dubai Lamps" mark a return to high quality LEDs designed to last.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
snootsandfruits

Post by snootsandfruits »

I have one of those early yellow filtered LEDs, still running happily, and a load of cheap Integral lamps from 8 or so years ago. The colour's crap on pretty much all of them (I seem to remember the Philips Master achieving a CRI of 80, or was it 85), but they all still function.

About two years ago I purchased a set of Philips Master ExpertColor GU10s for some kitchen spots. The colour rendering is fantastic, but my lord do they get a bit warm, and I've had two failures so far.

The change to the energy ratings does appear to be having the desired effect in getting more efficient products to market, but it makes me wonder what they'll skimp on next to save money and ensure they die within a short timeframe. Prices will come down soon enough.
Hugs

Post by Hugs »

It looks like Calex have also produced a couple of Dubai style bulbs.

Hopefully a bit more competition will help lower the price.

Can’t see anywhere to buy them online at this point, but the Calex brand is readily available at many high street stores and fancy lighting shops.

https://www.calex.eu/en/products/produc ... 00K-CLEAR/

https://www.calex.eu/en/products/produc ... 6LM-CLEAR/
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Hugs wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:51 am It looks like Calex have also produced a couple of Dubai style bulbs.

Hopefully a bit more competition will help lower the price.

Can’t see anywhere to buy them online at this point, but the Calex brand is readily available at many high street stores and fancy lighting shops.

https://www.calex.eu/en/products/produc ... 00K-CLEAR/

https://www.calex.eu/en/products/produc ... 6LM-CLEAR/
That is promising. I have just looked for a distributor on their website and it shows the Tesco near me, but UK Tesco online doesn't show the lamps. Hopefully they will come eventually.
(It also only shows Edison Screw bulbs. Something else to wait for...)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!