Window insulation

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Stan

Re: Window insulation

Post by Stan »

That’s clearly true. However the weak link in normal double glazing is the spacer frame between the 2 panes which provides a path for conduction and which is usually carefully designed. Secondary glazing has the same problem and so the conductivity is important.
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

The Building Research Establishment have just finished some formal modelling of Gecko panes thermal performance. I needed that before Gecko panes could be formally suggested under SAP etc. Results are in line with my hopes/expectations, which is a relief. Once the full report is through, if it's not too dull, I might upload it here so we can pick apart the calculations. The impact on the centre pane U-value was always easy to calculate, but the frame effects were beyond my simple calculations.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Adokforme wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:33 am Anybody upgraded with triple glazing prepared to share their experiences of it with us on here?
Just an update, 3℃ outside today but the sun is shining. The inside pane of my triple glazing is 57℃.

No need to have the heating on!

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

How does that work? 57 deg C is Saudi weather! Impressed! :)
We have 9 deg C outdoors. 16.8 deg on bare inner pane and 19.4 deg on the triangular insulated inserts. Heating is on, well the WS is. GCH is firmly to the off position.

Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:08 pm How does that work? 57 deg C is Saudi weather! Impressed! :)
We have 9 deg C outdoors. 16.8 deg on bare inner pane and 19.4 deg on the triangular insulated inserts. Heating is on!

Basically the triple-glazed panes are so well insulated that almost no heat leaks out by conduction. However they let heat from direct sunshine in by radiation. Cold-but sunny days are very rare where I live so I don't get a huge amount of benefit, but when the sun does shine in winter the house is toasty warm (south-facing rooms at least!).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:46 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:08 pm How does that work? 57 deg C is Saudi weather! Impressed! :)
We have 9 deg C outdoors. 16.8 deg on bare inner pane and 19.4 deg on the triangular insulated inserts. Heating is on!

Basically the triple-glazed panes are so well insulated that almost no heat leaks out by conduction. However they let heat from direct sunshine in by radiation. Cold-but sunny days are very rare where I live so I don't get a huge amount of benefit, but when the sun does shine in winter the house is toasty warm (south-facing rooms at least!).
Brilliant, TG shall go on my list of future upgrades.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:59 am
Adokforme wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:33 am Anybody upgraded with triple glazing prepared to share their experiences of it with us on here?
Just an update, 3℃ outside today but the sun is shining. The inside pane of my triple glazing is 57℃.

No need to have the heating on!

Thanks Stinsy, that's really impressive. Appreciate you sharing it with us. :D
nowty

Post by nowty »

I replaced my external doors and some ground floor windows a few years ago, all had been 80's UPVC double glazed circa U value of 2.5.
Replacement ones had U spec of 1.4 (double) or 1.0 (triple), the non South facing ones I had triple glazed, all with low E glass, argon filled and warm spacers. It made a huge difference.

Kept meaning to do a side window and the bathroom window because I can manage to install them myself but I have put it off for two winters and regretted it each winter.

This thread has finally motivated me to get my tape measure out and measure up, the order has been placed and are all triple glazed.

I hope to have them in by Xmas.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:59 pm I replaced my external doors and some ground floor windows a few years ago, all had been 80's UPVC double glazed circa U value of 2.5.
Replacement ones had U spec of 1.4 (double) or 1.0 (triple), the non South facing ones I had triple glazed, all with low E glass, argon filled and warm spacers. It made a huge difference.

Kept meaning to do a side window and the bathroom window because I can manage to install them myself but I have put it off for two winters and regretted it each winter.

This thread has finally motivated me to get my tape measure out and measure up, the order has been placed and are all triple glazed.

I hope to have them in by Xmas.
Excellent to read that. We defo bounce ideas and grow off of each other. What colour are you going for?A lot of grey seen going in.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks guys. Having read through it all I have to confess that the prospect of TG does appeal, just need to be sure we're getting a beneficial return and the best performance from any product purchased.
Can I ask if, those who have had it installed, still find condensation on the frames in the mornings as we do with our DG units?
Also, what specifications if any should they comply with or be equal too?
Any input most welcomed.