Dubai Lamps

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Joeboy

Re: Dubai Lamps

Post by Joeboy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:07 pm The lights I fitted under our wall mounted kitchen units, are just cheap LED strips from eBay, with a 12V power supply tucked away in the cabinets. They are wired using these wireless switches (have loads of these, they are brilliant): https://www.quinetic.co.uk/

I hid the strips from direct view by just fitting a matching oak trim (left over bit of oak door shut strip (sure there's a proper name for it) glued along the front edge of the underside of the wall units, with the LED strip stuck behind it, out of sight. Works a treat, and instead of the very power hungry 5050 or 5630 LED strip I used outside, for the kitchen I used the much lower power 3528 strip, that only draws about 1W per metre or so.
I bought little led lanterns and converted the existing units. I liked the pyramid shape of the s/s steel housings.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Re: Dubai Lamps

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:25 pm
Oldgreybeard wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:07 pm The lights I fitted under our wall mounted kitchen units, are just cheap LED strips from eBay, with a 12V power supply tucked away in the cabinets. They are wired using these wireless switches (have loads of these, they are brilliant): https://www.quinetic.co.uk/

I hid the strips from direct view by just fitting a matching oak trim (left over bit of oak door shut strip (sure there's a proper name for it) glued along the front edge of the underside of the wall units, with the LED strip stuck behind it, out of sight. Works a treat, and instead of the very power hungry 5050 or 5630 LED strip I used outside, for the kitchen I used the much lower power 3528 strip, that only draws about 1W per metre or so.
I bought little led lanterns and converted the existing units. I liked the pyramid shape of the s/s steel housings.
Lot to be said for aesthetics outbidding ultimate energy efficiency, especially if marital harmony is to be maintained! This is a photo of the LED strip arrangement I came up with, in case it is of any use to anyone else (the LEDs are 12V, so safe enough to DIY). This is a front view, showing the bit of oak trim used to hide the LED strip:
Cabinet light - front.jpg
Cabinet light - front.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
and this is a slightly awkward underside view, showing the self-adhesive LED strip stuck to the base of the cabinets behind the oak trim:
Cabinet light - underside view.jpg
Cabinet light - underside view.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter