de stratifying DHW tank

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Tinbum

Re: de stratifying DHW tank

Post by Tinbum »

I'd guess that people install them upside down as normally electrics are put near the top for obvious reasons.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

openspaceman wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:47 pm It takes me a while to start on a project; in this case I am waiting for warmer weather and I shall attempt to replace a rusty old galvanised cold water cistern at the same time.

I have the Willis jacket and have bought a 1.5kW immersion element for it but cannot comment on how it will work.
A follow up; I fitted the Willis and loop to my 100 litre "narrow" DHW tank and it works well, with a slight gurgling noise and all the water gets hot. On thing to be aware of is that as the immersion element is the opposite way up from the one currently in the tank and as flow is a bit slow, as the loop is 15mm copper, the water leaving the heater is considerably warmer than the thermostat setting, and this will apply to all the top part of the tank. As it heats up the 22mm hot expansion pipe gets warm up to ceiling level. I shall probably experiment with a pipe stat on the feed from the gas boiler as it enters the tank coil as this point is a good indication of the temperature at the bottom third of the tank.

I still have to implement with simple automation but the logic will be to switch a relay from the contacts on my victron battery charger. I have the contacts set to close at 54V and stay closed for 10 minutes and from observing the system and state of the relay it should work.

In the meanwhile Octopus cannot find my address on the electricity nor gas databases and I must await a reply from Eon to say why.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
nowty

Post by nowty »

openspaceman wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:40 pm In the meanwhile Octopus cannot find my address on the electricity nor gas databases and I must await a reply from Eon to say why.
Eon have form on this, took 3 months to sort out when my daughter moved flat.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=9&t=1067
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Thanks for the pointer Nowty, I shall get straight on to Ukpowernetworks and SGN with the details to see if I can hurry them up.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery