Glass fronted tumble drier, insulate it!?

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Countrypaul

Re: Glass fronted tumble drier, insulate it!?

Post by Countrypaul »

ducabi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:12 pm My issue with tumble drier is that it should be used straight after washing machine finishes. Now I'm trying to reduce usage of big appliances during the day to save my precious batteries, so 1 washing machine run is during the night, which means TD would be used like 5-6hrs after washing.
Never heard that before, what is the theory behind it?

We always dry things on a creel, but finish them in the TD if needed before being completely dry , usually only about 10 mins is sufficient time, unfortunately tis does mean the cycle is incomplete and the clothes can be quite warm (beware of metal buttons :D )
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Unless its a really heavy questionable item that doesn't drain easily (horrible latex pillow for example) then 1400rpm spin on iur LG really often has us questioning whether we washed something, jeans are the giveaway via the coldness of damp denim, which when combined with the ashp extra time oft needed to dry helps balance things out so loads dont particularly stack up behind each other.

The steam function on the drier (cassette needs some water in it naturally) is a nice 1 shirt load refresher, steam in washer also helps ..but often forgotten about, for a batch of shirts etc.

Im going to dig out some rough celotex & insulate the glass, with it being between 5 & 8c in there over winter the effort may well be worthwhile imho.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

Countrypaul wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:00 pm Never heard that before, what is the theory behind it?

We always dry things on a creel, but finish them in the TD if needed before being completely dry , usually only about 10 mins is sufficient time, unfortunately tis does mean the cycle is incomplete and the clothes can be quite warm (beware of metal buttons :D )
That's my Mrs' theory. There was already a lot of discussion about delaying washing to off peak hours and what impact it will have on clothes sitting in the machine for hours.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Quite a lot, a 1400 spin leaves very little wet, not dripping like an 800 /1000 spin of old.
a dettol "type" wash disinfectant should keep bugs at bay though except maybe in hot conditions, & of course regular tub cleaning, then alls typically fine.
Air (door open) the washer after use.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

A+++ ASHP Tumble dryer now installed and operational, it was fascinating yesterday to have the dryer running and see the batteries swinging from charge to discharge at about 78Watts as the sun came and went with the panels only making around 580Watts. With the old dryer we would have been firmly importing kW's.

Old B rated dryer now next door at nannies house, she only uses it sparingly and when the sun is on her south facing array and batteries are at 50%SoC so its effectively solar powered :)

Really really pleased so again thanks to Mr Gus and the forum for raising my awareness.

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

It's amazing what can pass you by sometimes isnt it!?

Happy to get inadvertently help.I

Would really recommend reading the manual, printing & laminating relevant to your family's drying loads as these are not the simplest to get the best from compared to our brainless, 2 heat settings & timer type units, ..this will be a source of annoyance till au-fait, but watching the reduced power demand when it works is great, ours works better "we think" 😉 with water cassette emptied frequently (halfway or earlier) & likely it will be your job as the fluffer.

Will search for my filter comb link shortly.

Hopefully I'll have waded through my offcuts for a suitable piece to get this proven worthwhile / disproven as a waste-o-time soon too!
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Was having a clear out of some cupboards and came across the receipt for our AEG heat pump tumble dryer, turns out it is 8 years old this year.
Only problem I've had with it is the narrow drainage channels below the condenser became partially blocked due to very fine dust passing through the filters and stopped it draining fully. A strip down of the tumble dryer got them clear but it was a bit of a faff for several hours!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Needs to be anti static & better mesh filtration, with the ability to create a lint loosening negative pressure vacuum port as part of a service cycle maybe?
The awkward bottom access of ashp tumble driers has been a concern to me for a good while, but.. "hobsons choice"
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:26 am The awkward bottom access of ashp tumble driers has been a concern to me for a good while, but.. "hobsons choice"
Hobsons Choice, one of those sayings were you know what it is from experience but no idea where it came from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_choice

Reading it made me laugh out loud.

Many years ago I used to ride horses, and one time I was joining a group hack. I was expecting to ride one of the horses I had experience on. When I arrived I noticed a new horse with the name "Rimner" written on the stable door. It looked at me with an evil stare and it had a deformed eye. I stared back and said, "Rimner, your a devil horse, horse from hell".

The hack leader then said to me, "nowty we got a great new horse for you to ride, his names Rimner" :?

Err, can I ride one of my usual horses.

No, he's the last one left. :shock:

Threw me off twice. :evil:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Being a country farm boy & raised with horses (riding school) I was born into the saddle & was an expendable option for breaking horses.like that, I was the sort of lad who would ride astride 2 horses standing whilst they cantered, so would have to regularly fight with horses for control, one resulting in my bruised balls from 14-30yrs "deep tissue damage" purple gonads, I was surprised to have a kid as a result !

Tiny brains they may have, but some well & truly evil bastards with that power & mass.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS