Edinburgh flat

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
AGT

Re: Edinburgh flat

Post by AGT »

Bonkers that people haven’t been all LED lighting for along time!

Better spending the money enjoying life than giving it to an energy company!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Absolutely! spent the money in Teuchtars bar & the Standing order. Heading for an Italian soon and the back into Stockbridge to ring the pub tills there Started the day with coffee and filled rolls in the Haymarket.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:16 pm Here we are again! Gad a quick check around the place and found 4 bulbs that were pulling 240W total. Changed out and now pulling 16W total. Took my meter with me and showed son & daughter the before/after. They learn every day!
I bet lots of people think that compact fluorescent bulbs did all that was needed. But at 60W each, maybe they were just incandescent bulbs that weren't used much? I think my loft lights are still filament bulbs, as is the outside bog and my bee- (ex coal-) shed.
I am conscious of the embodied energy in bulbs (maybe especially in CFLs) so have hung on to the ones we swapped out.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:23 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:16 pm Here we are again! Gad a quick check around the place and found 4 bulbs that were pulling 240W total. Changed out and now pulling 16W total. Took my meter with me and showed son & daughter the before/after. They learn every day!
I bet lots of people think that compact fluorescent bulbs did all that was needed. But at 60W each, maybe they were just incandescent bulbs that weren't used much? I think my loft lights are still filament bulbs, as is the outside bog and my bee- (ex coal-) shed.
I am conscious of the embodied energy in bulbs (maybe especially in CFLs) so have hung on to the ones we swapped out.
I bought a box of 8 of the dubai? Quad filament bulbs. Consistently 4W. Absolutely mind blowing 🤯. Again these were brought down from Aberdeenshire this morning as she was feart of the dark hallway. This confession of feart reminded me of jumping the gap, 1mtr tween carpet and bed as a wean so the monster under the bed wouldn't grab my ankle and then consume me. Ah the joys!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Good choice with the Dubai lamps!

I bought a load of the 3-lobe yellow Philips LED bulbs over 10 years ago, super efficient, nice light quality, and satisfactory life expectancy. They were a bit pricey (£50 a pop IIRC) but you get what you pay for!

Fast forward a decade and the LED bulbs now available are shit. Poor efficiency, short lifespan, horrible light quality. But they’re cheap.

The Dubai lamps offer a return to quality being the main metric.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Had a great 36hrs in Edinburgh. Great to see the trams operating all the way into Leith.

Saw this wee green wagon on our walk.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs