Ultra Efficient Lightbulbs

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Mr Gus

Re: Ultra Efficient Lightbulbs

Post by Mr Gus »

The main area leds are philips £2 specials, the conservatory ones are mostly philips (with a previous gen of philips energy saving lighting prior to that)
The non philips have lasted more or less enough time & cost to prove their worth, not poundland but not far off amazonian deals from 2016, the cooker lights are the most susceptible due to steam.

Don't think i'd use the pricey philips ones for a cooker hood, & less used rooms are on older bulbs because it makes more sense to swap out periodically (one room had a cfl replaced last year, finally) :lol: ..just like nowty's swap through, because what do you do with perfectly good bheaput older part used bulbs these days? ..back in the bulb spares box under the kitchen cabinets, avoiding recycling for a while longer, bulb box is looking "historical" by now.

I bought some non philips led over the extended LED lumens output inertia time (a very long pause) but am hoping the premium on Ultra-efficient philips will be short & prices to settle down, you cannot knock the build nor the warranty for philips bulbs which has been borne out on several occassions here, compared to buy & be done with it generic led bulbs which still last pretty well all things considered.

The important thing is to scour B&Q clearance bins periodically, they have no rhyme nor reason & are merely shelf / packaging clear outs.. for all else there is cheaper generic schmutter.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I bought from here, please post if sourced at a better price/postage. 40W warm white ses £2 per bulb incl delivery.

Price drops to £1.65 per unit if 20 bought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175342767083

We now have a box of spiral 9W bulbs in Edinburgh awaiting rehoming around the various properties. This is actually.a good reminder to see what we have out here although I think we are already pretty much covered. Worth a check though?

Edit, oh dear!

Note to self to bring 4 of ses 9W bulbs out here.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
John_S

Post by John_S »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:38 am I bought from here, please post if sourced at a better price/postage. 40W warm white ses £2 per bulb incl delivery.

We now have a box of spiral 9W bulbs awaiting rehoming around the various properties. This is actually.a good reminder to see what we have out here although I think we are already pretty much covered. Worth a check though?

Edit, oh dear!

I am confused. The specs show 100-120 lumens per watt, but I thought that 'Dubai' lights were around 200+ lumens per watt. Am I missing something?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

John_S wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:59 am
Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:38 am I bought from here, please post if sourced at a better price/postage. 40W warm white ses £2 per bulb incl delivery.

We now have a box of spiral 9W bulbs awaiting rehoming around the various properties. This is actually.a good reminder to see what we have out here although I think we are already pretty much covered. Worth a check though?

Edit, oh dear!

I am confused. The specs show 100-120 lumens per watt, but I thought that 'Dubai' lights were around 200+ lumens per watt. Am I missing something?
I guess I'm playing fast & loose with the terms. :roll: I assumed that these were a cut price/spec and the term dubai was indicative of the filament type/overall bulb design? If Dubai is an absolute immovable spec I'll need another name? I don't tend to get hung up on this stuff. Close enough is good enough for me and I guess you get what you are willing to pay for? 8-) For me, that's 8 bulbs for £16 delivered. :lol:
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Dubai lamps are so named as thy were first available in Dubai, IIRC it was to do with an energy saving mandate over there.
This thread says more about them https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... ubai+lamps
Last edited by Fintray on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

My swap though this time were,

Outside lamps running dusk till dawn 2 x 9W reduced to 2 x 2.5W.
Porch lamps running dusk till dawn 2 x 5W reduced to 2 x 2.3W.
Hallway lamps running all day 2 x 6.8W reduced to 2 x 2.5W.
Lounge lamps running all day 2 x 9W reduced to 2 x 4W.
Bedroom lamp running typically all evening 6W reduced to 2.3W.
Conservatory lamp running as required 15W reduced to 7.3W (benefits from being brighter).
Bathroom running as required 20W reduced to 7.3W (benefits from being brighter).
Shower room running as required 9W reduced to 4W (benefits from being brighter).
Utility room running as required 9W reduced to 4W (benefits from being brighter).
Loft light running very seldom 25W compact fluorescent (final one) replaced with the ex 20W LED lamp from bathroom (benefits from being brighter).

TBD
8 x 8W in kitchen, they are reflector spots, when I bought the house they were 100W each :o , I replaced with expensive 25W compact fluorescent with high failure rate, then dropped to 12W LEDs with high failure rate, then 8W LEDs. I tried a 4W E27 type bulb, same brightness but they don't look right and 100% failed the SWMBO test. Need an ultra efficient 4W reflector spot to be developed.

4 x 4W E14 candle lamps in stairwell, new 2.3W are too bright, need a ultra efficient 1W frosted type to be developed.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:10 pm My swap though this time were,

Outside lamps running dusk till dawn 2 x 9W reduced to 2 x 2.5W.
Porch lamps running dusk till dawn 2 x 5W reduced to 2 x 2.3W.
Hallway lamps running all day 2 x 6.8W reduced to 2 x 2.5W.
Lounge lamps running all day 2 x 9W reduced to 2 x 4W.
Bedroom lamp running typically all evening 6W reduced to 2.3W.
Conservatory lamp running as required 15W reduced to 7.3W (benefits from being brighter).
Bathroom running as required 20W reduced to 7.3W (benefits from being brighter).
Shower room running as required 9W reduced to 4W (benefits from being brighter).
Utility room running as required 9W reduced to 4W (benefits from being brighter).
Loft light running very seldom 25W compact fluorescent (final one) replaced with the ex 20W LED lamp from bathroom (benefits from being brighter).

TBD
8 x 8W in kitchen, they are reflector spots, when I bought the house they were 100W each :o , I replaced with expensive 25W compact fluorescent with high failure rate, then dropped to 12W LEDs with high failure rate, then 8W LEDs. I tried a 4W E27 type bulb, same brightness but they don't look right and 100% failed the SWMBO test. Need an ultra efficient 4W reflector spot to be developed.

4 x 4W E14 candle lamps in stairwell, new 2.3W are too bright, need a ultra efficient 1W frosted type to be developed.
I just know you've got a cumulative per hour total Wattage saving on this swap run? :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:10 pm Lounge lamps running all day 2 x 9W reduced to 2 x 4W.
Nowty, have you bricked up your lounge window to reduce heat loss or is there some other reason the lounge lamps are on all day? :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:14 pm
I just know you've got a cumulative per hour total Wattage saving on this swap run? :D
Nearly, I did a quick and dirty saving calc of just under 1kWh per day, approx 300 kWh per year. But its not just the power savings, some are brighter where they need to be and there is a circa 5 fold increase to their lifetimes. And the switching lifetime of 500,000 operations is nuts, the lightswitch is probably not rated to that. :lol:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:23 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:14 pm
Nearly, I did a quick and dirty saving calc of just under 1kWh per day, approx 300 kWh per year. But its not just the power savings, some are brighter where they need to be and there is a circa 5 fold increase to their lifetimes. And the switching lifetime of 500,000 operations is nuts, the lightswitch is probably not rated to that. :lol:
That's really good! Especially on something that is essentially an enjoyable flyby. I found 2 of 40W incandescent in our cooker hood a couple of months back, been in there for years. :? Changed out for my cut-price Dubai bulbs, lights as good now as with the 40W incandescents I think. 👍
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs