Ultra Efficient Lightbulbs

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
nowty

Re: Ultra Efficient Lightbulbs

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:15 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:10 pm Lounge lamps running all day 2 x 9W reduced to 2 x 4W.
Nowty, have you bricked up your lounge window to reduce heat loss or is there some other reason the lounge lamps are on all day? :D
I used to be obsessive with turning lights off (drilled into me by my parents), but since LED's came onto the scene coupled with the solar and batteries it does not make much difference. There are times when a heavy cloud comes over and the north end of the house benefits from the lights all day.

I fecked up with my payback estimate of 5 to 7 years as most of the power would be supplied from the solar so its probably more likely 20 years. :?
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Isn't this a time that a serious government would & should negotiate a product licensing subsidising price with the likes of philips in an attempt to hammer down the uk lighting consumption requirements over a 24 month period? ..a bit like the early 2000's CFL bulb rush of old? getting us on a more stable base load that both shores up & reduces consumption.

£10+ per bulb, ouch when you are already using LED's (as the majority are now) is still a ring-stinger.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

nowty wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:34 pm
Fintray wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:15 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:10 pm Lounge lamps running all day 2 x 9W reduced to 2 x 4W.
Nowty, have you bricked up your lounge window to reduce heat loss or is there some other reason the lounge lamps are on all day? :D
I used to be obsessive with turning lights off (drilled into me by my parents), but since LED's came onto the scene coupled with the solar and batteries it does not make much difference. There are times when a heavy cloud comes over and the north end of the house benefits from the lights all day.

I fecked up with my payback estimate of 5 to 7 years as most of the power would be supplied from the solar so its probably more likely 20 years.
That's sort of my thinking - the last time i bought a new chest freezer i was considering A++ and A+++, but then i thought that with solar & hydro-electric, I'm actually better off buying an A+ and putting the money saved towards more PV, etc.

i do tend to look at lm/w when buying leds, but i also believe in making full use of what I've already bought to minimise the environmental inpact of its manufacture.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH