Are rechargeable Li-PP9 batteries up to task nowadays?

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Mr Gus

Are rechargeable Li-PP9 batteries up to task nowadays?

Post by Mr Gus »

Wouldlike to phase out another element of "disposable" :roll: batteries & get another duracell off my back where typical monoxide detectors are concerned.

A few years ago the PP9 was a bit of a rarity, now as a rechargeable Li it is commonplace.

Anyone fitted any to monitoring items?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Re: Are rechargeable Li-PP9 batteries up to task nowadays?

Post by Joeboy »

All my AA's & AAA'S at home are rechargeable now plus a handful of each for quick turnaround. I really notice the changeouts now, good to have. Didn't know that PP3's were a thing in the rechargeable world! I like these usb one's on Amazon? One less charger unit to lose track of?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-B ... 21&sr=8-18

I have no idea how they compare with a more traditional rechargeable PP3,I just like the idea.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
marshman

Post by marshman »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:19 pm Wouldlike to phase out another element of "disposable" :roll: batteries & get another duracell off my back where typical monoxide detectors are concerned.

A few years ago the PP9 was a bit of a rarity, now as a rechargeable Li it is commonplace.

Two comments on batteries and "monooxide" detectors - some of which applies to smoke/heat detectors as well.

Firstly, depending on the type of sensor, CO detectors (and non optical smoke detectors) have a limited life. The CO detector I fitted 7 years ago now has a life of 10 years, the battery is "integrated" and is expected to last the life of the device, so no need to change it.

With regard to smoke and heat detectors a few years back I "upgraded" the ones we had. At first I thought SWMBO had improved her cooking as the frequent "dinner is ready" alarms had ceased. I checked the batteries and they were fine, the test button said all was A'OK, but the smoke detector was very insensitive - the radioactive source had depleted and the "small print" on the unit said replace after 7 years. So I fitted mains powered ones that are all linked but have battery back up. They are optical units (apart from the heat detector) and a standard alkaline battery.

Secondly, and to my opinion, more importantly unless otherwise stated the manufacturer designs these units to run on Alkaline batteries which have a very specific voltage characteristic. They are low drain devices with low battery detection. (the annoying beep at 3AM caused by a drop in voltage due to lower overnight temperature). The low battery warning gives plenty of time to replace the battery while still having a functioning alarm. Changing to a Li rechargeable (or even a PP3 NiMh rechargeable) will result in a battery with a different voltage characteristic, the worst bit being the rapid drop off in voltage near exhaustion. Most Li batteries (collection of cells) have built in protection board (BMS) which literally cut off the supply if any cell goes too low. If that happens, no functioning detector!

Also what happens while you are recharging the Li battery?? do you leave the detector unpowered, thus no protection/alarm? or do you have two batteries and swap them over at intervals.

For the tiny potential of "phasing out" disposable PP3's I would not do it. PP3's in smoke detectors last years so the saving, if any at all, would be minimal and the downside risk is I think high - (thinking low cell V disconnect here). Also at end of life which is worse in disposal terms a couple of PP3 alkalines or a PP3 Li battery?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

marshman wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:19 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:19 pm Wouldlike to phase out another element of "disposable" :roll: batteries & get another duracell off my back where typical monoxide detectors are concerned.

Two comments on batteries and "monooxide" detectors - some of which applies to smoke/heat detectors as well.

Firstly, depending on the type of sensor, CO detectors (and non optical smoke detectors) have a limited life. The CO detector I fitted 7 years ago now has a life of 10 years, the battery is "integrated" and is expected to last the life of the device, so no need to change it.

With regard to smoke and heat detectors a few years back I "upgraded" the ones we had. At first I thought SWMBO had improved her cooking as the frequent "dinner is ready" alarms had ceased. I checked the batteries and they were fine, the test button said all was A'OK, but the smoke detector was very insensitive - the radioactive source had depleted and the "small print" on the unit said replace after 7 years. So I fitted mains powered ones that are all linked but have battery back up. They are optical units (apart from the heat detector) and a standard alkaline battery.

Secondly, and to my opinion, more importantly unless otherwise stated the manufacturer designs these units to run on Alkaline batteries which have a very specific voltage characteristic. They are low drain devices with low battery detection. (the annoying beep at 3AM caused by a drop in voltage due to lower overnight temperature). The low battery warning gives plenty of time to replace the battery while still having a functioning alarm. Changing to a Li rechargeable (or even a PP3 NiMh rechargeable) will result in a battery with a different voltage characteristic, the worst bit being the rapid drop off in voltage near exhaustion. Most Li batteries (collection of cells) have built in protection board (BMS) which literally cut off the supply if any cell goes too low. If that happens, no functioning detector!

Also what happens while you are recharging the Li battery?? do you leave the detector unpowered, thus no protection/alarm? or do you have two batteries and swap them over at intervals.

For the tiny potential of "phasing out" disposable PP3's I would not do it. PP3's in smoke detectors last years so the saving, if any at all, would be minimal and the downside risk is I think high - (thinking low cell V disconnect here). Also at end of life which is worse in disposal terms a couple of PP3 alkalines or a PP3 Li battery?
A lot of good points MM, the only other place I think I use PP3s are in my IR thermometer & thermal camera. Not sure I'd invest at that level of need. AA & AAA's though. Probably about 30 combined in operation at home and all rechargeable. The real consumer there would be the two zone Hive units, 4 AA's per unit :shock:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Cheers MM.

We have 3 li-PP9 which the wfe bought for a work job that came home, 2 are still sealed, I will bung one in the IR thermom & look for a charger on ali express this weekend jus to keep them chargeable & ready for eventual use "somewhere"

Good points, i'm getting stymed by pp9's at every turn! :lol:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I never finished off this damnable tale...

I didn't open the pack (new & sealed) eventually said "sod it" ordered a cheap 5v usb charger because PP9 connectivity is non regular compared to my battery chargers..

THEN, & only then did I open the sealed box to find the dippy mare had ordered the godawful ones with an inbuilt micro usb built in :roll: :shock: :roll:

Sod it!
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS