Heatpump tumble dryer?

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
spread-tee

Heatpump tumble dryer?

Post by spread-tee »

Has anyone got experience of heatpump tumble dryers?

We have a customer who uses an enormous amount of leccy a fair bit of which is down to tumble drying. She runs two Physio clinics from her house which demands a lot of laundering towels hence the use. The makers blurb says that heatpump tumblies use about half the amount a regular tumbly uses, any thoughts?

Also she is pretty committed to a PV system depending on a few yet to be sorted details, one being the battery. She is going to need 20-30 kWhrs storage at least with a daily use of more than 40kWhr. Obviously a stack of pylons is going to be pretty pricey, so I was considering a home brew battery stack as has been detailed here a few times. The one issue I have with that is setting up the BMS system.

Is anyone interested in doing that part of the job for us as a properly paid job? I will take full responsibility for the install after commissioning and will pay all expenses and etc. Any takers for a days work in the Epsom area??

Desp
Blah blah blah
nowty

Re: Heatpump tumble dryer?

Post by nowty »

There is a thread which morphed into heatpump tumble dryers here,

https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 792#p26990
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

Hiya Desp, I can pass on some positive comments I've read on the MSE forum, but doubt I could find them now.

Yes, a lot less energy, but they do cost quite a bit more.

But .... adding in your points that they are considering PV and batts, and things really improve - tumblies and PV aren't the best of friends since they have quite a high power draw, but a HP model using less leccy, so will balance better with PV and batteries, helping to minimise leccy import. [I'm guessing that they can't pick and choose the best sunny days for the washing?] Also, it may work in the winter, by charging the batts off cheap rate.

I'm making this next bit up completely ..... purely my imagineering, but I wonder how the machines are vented, and if you get variable choice? My thought being that during the winter you may want to feed from external air, rather than 'consume' heat from central heating, but would be great if the exhaust heat can be vented inside, so long as moisture has been removed. Then in the summer, maybe the opposite is possible, extracting heat from inside, and venting hot air outside, effectively a form of air conditioning?

I think some HP water heaters have internal and external choice, hence my tumbly wonderings. :?:

Sorry, just re-read and this is just lots of additional questions, not answers!

Doh! Missed that thread completely. :shock:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Before you hit that thread up Desp.

We have no problem with the extra time oft needed to dry (it typically pulls 255 w in summer if I recall)
No venting to the outside (obviously) ..just a water tank to be drained (mop liquid to add bleach to)

Filter is generally a b**** to access & clear REGULARLY (on top of the lint trap)

BUY a lint rake from ali express for a decent chance to get the damp air filter lint from the honeycomb metal layer.
Make sure the salesman gives you an extra set of filter sponges for each drier ..a small but useful thing, esp if they are going to sit in a cooler room that means wet moisture laden sponges due to location & frequent use ..pennies to give away, pounds to buy ;)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

On the homebrew batt side, Desp, I reckon you'd be best off getting au fait with a small DIY battery yourself & scaling up latterly (only not on this job) it will be more & more common an ask for battery stacks, & affordable will be you getting your fingers eagerly nipped.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi Desp,

I bought a hp tumble dryer off the back of the other thread, we use it most days at least once (three small rug rats) and since we bought it the house batteries have sighed with relief, it literally sips power rather than the traditional tumble dryer that guzzles power. It’s easier on the batteries and the inverter allowing me to run the tumble dryer washer and cook on the hob with pulling from the grid.

It’s been a game changer and I can’t recommend it enough.

Moxi
marshman

Post by marshman »

spread-tee wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:04 pm so I was considering a home brew battery stack as has been detailed here a few times. The one issue I have with that is setting up the BMS system.

Desp
For a BMS I can recommend a "Seplos" BMS. Was literally "Plug n Play" with my Solis 6kW inverter. It can "mimic" any number of different battery types so you get full "CAN" coms with the inverter just like with Pylontech etc. I have 2 28kWh stacks each with their own Seplos BMS, they link together just like Pylontech and I have not had any issues - and you can now get them in the UK from Fogstar:

https://www.fogstar.co.uk/products/sepl ... ifepo4-bms

They do a 200A version if you need it. - 150A is good for over 6kW. Get the display with Bluetooth and then you can change any parameters via their smartphone app. Only issue is they are a bare PCB so need some sort of enclosure making up, or just stuff it in the box with the cells, once working you don't need access to it.

For the LF280K cells you either go to Deriy (Colin Deng on here at around $100 per cell + shipping, order via Alibaba) - other suppliers are available, or go to a UK supplier such as Fogstar and pay around £120 per cell. You will need 32 cells for 28kWh storage.
pj

Post by pj »

Mart wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:20 pm I'm making this next bit up completely ..... purely my imagineering, but I wonder how the machines are vented, and if you get variable choice? My thought being that during the winter you may want to feed from external air, rather than 'consume' heat from central heating, but would be great if the exhaust heat can be vented inside, so long as moisture has been removed. Then in the summer, maybe the opposite is possible, extracting heat from inside, and venting hot air outside, effectively a form of air conditioning?
Our HP dryer does not have a vent. The air in the machine runs in a closed cycle, alternately being heated up to evaporate moisture out of the clothes, then cooled to condense the moisture back out. The condensed water is then collected and pumped out to the drain.
Saying that, a small amount of moist air does escape into the room - the dryer is not completely sealed.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:27 pm
Filter is generally a b**** to access & clear REGULARLY (on top of the lint trap)
This is why I moved away from a tumble dryer to a drying closet, much gentler on clothes.

Probably no good for the OP as it is slower but can be speeded up with a bit of additional heat and a second dehumidifier.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Whilst it is more faff, theenergy reduction & moisture capture is worthwhile.

I moan because their is no raiser, quite common in north america as they move away from the top loader, doubtless held back by perceived need to stick everything in a kitchen at standard height.

I moan as the only person who bothers, to empty it (laying down, far from a friendly design for l
those with limited mobility, needs a re-think there)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS