Heatpump tumble dryer?

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Stinsy

Re: Heatpump tumble dryer?

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:04 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:27 pm
Filter is generally a b**** to access & clear REGULARLY (on top of the lint trap)
This is why I moved away from a tumble dryer to a drying closet, much gentler on clothes.

Probably no good for the OP as it is slower but can be speeded up with a bit of additional heat and a second dehumidifier.
When I redid our utility room I toyed with the “drying closet” concept. Basically a shower tray, some crome rails to hang the clothes and a dehumidifier. But SWMBO was less that enthusiastic so we stuck with the HP tumbler we already had…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

A heat pump needs a heat source. I presume it takes heat from the room. Is it therefore cheating a bit? I.e. presumably it cools the room it's in and therefore raises air heating demand and costs, which don't show up in the direct consumption figs?
Mart

Post by Mart »

GarethC wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 am A heat pump needs a heat source. I presume it takes heat from the room. Is it therefore cheating a bit? I.e. presumably it cools the room it's in and therefore raises air heating demand and costs, which don't show up in the direct consumption figs?
My thoughts too. Could it be cyclical, in that it takes the heat from the room to dry the clothes, but then that heat is lost, back into the room? Rather than creating heat through resistive heating, and then adding that to the room?
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

GarethC wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 am A heat pump needs a heat source. I presume it takes heat from the room. Is it therefore cheating a bit? I.e. presumably it cools the room it's in and therefore raises air heating demand and costs, which don't show up in the direct consumption figs?
My HP tumbler kicks out a significant amount of heat into the room. Very noticeable in winter because the utility room is otherwise unheated. The heat comes from condensing the water as well as inherent inefficiency of the pump/motor etc.

I can't remember the exact calculation but IIRC condensing 1L of water gives off 640Wh of energy.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

As stated before our numbers are based on location in winter in an unheated conservatory partitio ed off with a sink for a washer & drier, & the winter numbers (draw) is impressive enough regardless of season, it gets too hot in summer(damn) & as of a morning last week hit 30c accumulated temp before being opened up for the day.

Spring , summer, autumnal drying is not really that noticeable from winter drying other than needing a bit more time, even then it was not pulling crazy amounts of energy.

it is 26c out there this morning, plenty of natural heat to utilise
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

No, it doesn't take heat from the room. The heat pump creates a hot surface and a cold surface simultaneously. The dryer blows the air inside the unit in a closed loop over the hot surface, making warmer, air; then through the damp clothes (or whatever), making, wetter air(the warmth goes into the moisture to evaporate it); then over the cold surface, condensing the water out (energy comes back out of the water - passes through the heap pump ); then back the the hot surface at the start of the loop.

The electrical energy used to drive the heat pump and the blower (and drum), all ends up as extra heat in the system so overall the unit (and so the room) gets warmer.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Ah interesting, that makes sense. Thanks all.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I've been amazed at how little energy ours uses. A big load is usually about 0.6kWh.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Ours was in use yesterday it used 5.783kW just a standard condensing tumble dryer for approx 3 loads.
Been wet and miserable all weekend hence the use…..

Ours is in the downstairs loo cupboard, so when in use the toilet door is left open when not in use to get the heat throughout the hall.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Thanks for all the info regarding HP tumblies, I am convinced now that Fiona (our customer) is using a LOT of energy yearly in that machine alone, getting on for 2000 kWhr/yr from the info we have gleaned so far. If these HP versions are as good as they seem it will be cost effective for her to ditch the existing and purchase a new one straight away.

I downloaded the manual for that BMS you linked to Marshman, my sparky mate seems to be happy with the techy bits and TBH eve I understood some of it :shock: so that is very useful info, many thanks.

I have put together a budget figure for her based on 9kWp of panels, 25kWhr of batteries and a 6kW hybrid inverter and she seems to be OK with it all so now we need to get a g99 application in to UKPN to see if they will play ball.

Desp
Blah blah blah