Induction adapter plates (for tightwads / "sensible" people)

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Mr Gus

Induction adapter plates (for tightwads / "sensible" people)

Post by Mr Gus »

I may have covered this elsewhere, but due to silly money "inertia" kept my purse closed tight..

https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/piattello-induzione.html (£22 on Amaz--)

Sometime ago I was looking for a converter for my bialetti (aluminium) in order not to junk needlessly good, otherwise viable kit.

Yes, we could argue loss of efficiency in transfer etc, (and you lot will :lol: ) the branded converter was an eyewatering 3x what I paid for the pot new, ..onna deal obviously at around £22 mark

Suffice to say whilst washing soft plastic for recycling yesterday I got my plastics drying bag out to wham some conservatory heat & hasten the process, the bags were hooked onto my now dusty bialetti espresso maker which I glare at now & again.

Looked around today, found this, agreeable price, considering all the fecking analon we possess a try before you repurpose effort is needed.

£6 instore

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-g ... -50175276/

Anyone got one to comment on it? i'm busting for a non wbs cuppa caffeine goop now & again.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Re: Induction adapter plates (for tightwads / "sensible" people)

Post by Stinsy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:56 pm I may have covered this elsewhere, but due to silly money "inertia" kept my purse closed tight..

https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/piattello-induzione.html (£22 on Amaz--)

Sometime ago I was looking for a converter for my bialetti (aluminium) in order not to junk needlessly good, otherwise viable kit.

Yes, we could argue loss of efficiency in transfer etc, (and you lot will :lol: ) the branded converter was an eyewatering 3x what I paid for the pot new, ..onna deal obviously at around £22 mark

Suffice to say whilst washing soft plastic for recycling yesterday I got my plastics drying bag out to wham some conservatory heat & hasten the process, the bags were hooked onto my now dusty bialetti espresso maker which I glare at now & again.

Looked around today, found this, agreeable price, considering all the fecking analon we possess a try before you repurpose effort is needed.

£6 instore

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-g ... -50175276/

Anyone got one to comment on it? i'm busting for a non wbs cuppa caffeine goop now & again.
IMO this is a waste of money! Just get some nice cast-iron pans. The cooking experience is so much nicer than aluminium and they last forever and used ones can be picked up cheaply.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Cast iron is generally too heavy for the wife, she loves her analon of which we have 2+ sets ..so £6 as an experiment "get you by" might be the solution to thin out but save some (we have 4 induction capable now, just counted) but the bialetti & the bialetti crepe pan i'd be pished to lose.

I did have a full set of le creuset but sold it onward at a handsome profit, i'd spend too many hours cursing its non dishwasher capability & long cooking stains ...so flogged on my "aga years" kit & rack I miss the old orange fry pan especially.

With the other forms of cooking a large chunk of pans are outmoded regardless of induction capable or not, so this is a bialetti saver (2 items) in principle & to be able to assess keep & go of other kit, like my big stock pots & analons the wife has butchered (knife marks)

Plus the walk in larder doesn't have room for pan hangers that hold the weight of a dozen cast iron bad boys (really bad if they come down) & the wife & I are short arses so they have to be lower level.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

You just need a ferrous thing. For your bialetti, a stout steel or cast iron disc will work. You could make it yourself out of some scrap with little more than a vise, hacksaw and file. An old induction compatible pan base could be a sensible source. Or you can buy laser cut discs from eBay. But yea, if the IKEA on works, why not!
Andy

Post by Andy »

The Ikea thing is made of silicon so won't heat up at all on an induction hob. It's made to stick to the bottom of cookware that works on an induction hob.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Mr Gus,

Andy is correct this is a pot stand or base to protect worksurfaces from a hot pan, you need an induction hob adapter plate and they are all around the 20 quid range but as others have said you can make your own from anything ferrous just make sure its flat and no sharp edged to scratch the hob surface or cut fingers. The cost of the finished products is usually because they are made from stainless, have a ground edge profile and a lifting attachment for a handle.

I have contemplated one of the many offerings from Amazon simply because some of our pan bases are a bit on the small side and the wife gets very annoyed when the hob alarms to tell her the pan isn't centred, for my part I think the hob is quite ballsey, I haven't felt sufficiently empowered to correct in her on anything in all the years we have been married......... :D

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Bugger, must have skim read ...damn, re-checking ikea for alternatives they have nothing, ah well cheers ladsl

Back to web trawling I go, ..tempted just to cut up an ikea saucepan at this rate!
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Plenty of laser cut steel disc options on eBay. Won't break the bank but, without welding a handle on, might be a bit fingertip burny to pick up when hot.
Windbag

Post by Windbag »

Induction pans don't have to be heavy. Enamel works, as does a lot stainless,but not all.

Test: if it holds a magnet it works on an induction hob.
We make 10kw solar 13kw wind, some bread and lots of beer.
We grow & cook loads.
We eat Fibre, Fat & no Fecking barcodes.
We swear at the heat pump (not strictly true)