EPC and cavity wall insulation

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
richbee

EPC and cavity wall insulation

Post by richbee »

As part of my investigations into the Octopus heat pump deal, and having talked to them yesterday about their quote; they mentioned that we need a valid EPC for them to be able to claim the £7.5k grant - which is obviously quite important.
They also mentioned that if any loft or cavity wall insulation issues are recommended on the EPC, it has to be sorted out before the grant is allowed - which does make sense.

So I set about getting someone to come and provide an EPC. Not sure how, but a random pick from the government list replied in 5 minutes and was onsite at 5pm yesterday - EPC was in my inbox by 7:30pm!!!

I was concerned about the cavity wall part of things, as the 1980s extension bit has cavities which aren't insulated. I thought that retro-fill cavity wall insulation in general had been rather discredited, due to damp bridging, cold spots, settling etc. Especially if the wall receives 'lots of driving rain and heavy weather' which pretty much describes our situation perfectly!
I mentioned it to the inspector as he walked round, and he said he would only comment if it wasn't present, and could be an improvement - so I was fully expecting to be ringing cavity wall suppliers today to see what they have to say.
Much to my surprise, he didn't mention it at all, only mentioned the solid stone walls and the insulated cavities in the new extension from 2 years ago - result!

So I don't need to do anything from the heat pump perspective, but I am now thinking I should investigate if it is reasonable to get some of the 80s cavities filled - the 2 rooms, downstairswith suspended floors and an open fireplace (with chimney sheep fitted) are much colder than the rooms with solid walls. Brief reading suggests that closed cell expanding foam may be the best - unless damp gets into the wall, as it can rot the wall ties. Polystyrene balls can also do the same, and mineral fibre is very much frowned upon now....

Any suggestions?
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Countrypaul

Re: EPC and cavity wall insulation

Post by Countrypaul »

Do you know what sort of wall ties you have in the 80's extension? When we renovated our current place, the external walls we took down had galvanised steel wire wall ties and cellulose CWI on the house, the attached garage had the same walls but no CWI. I found some wall ties had rotted through completely, some partially and some not at all, but there appeared to be no relationship to location. When we refaced the external wall sections (so we have the same bricks all round) along with any new/rebuilt walls stainless steel wall ties were used. We used a closed cell polyurethane injected CWI on all walls (celulose was removed) and have had no problems at all (but only been in 5 years). Our location in the Yorkshire dales means we do not suffer from strong driving rain (bing surrounded by a hillside on the rear and trees on the other 3 sides probably helps. My parents had injected polyurethane CWI put into their house i(built 1916) n the 1970's and had no problems with damp due to the CWI in nearly 50 years (wasps making a nest in the cavity yes) again location onTeeside meant quite sheltered.
Petertc

Post by Petertc »

When we bought our house the EPC said assumed cavity wall insulation, well they didn't look very hard, there wasn't any! I used an inspection camera from the loft.
We did have it done since using multi sized balls, that still leaves some gaps for any moisture to drain down.
The outside of the house is rendered and we're in south Devon. So can be a bit damp.
We have been very pleased with it. With this and replacing the old double glazed windows and adding an enclosed porch we gone from 16,000kWh for DHw/ heating to just under 8000 kWh .
We did this just before the grant came in for cavity wall.

Where we had vertical tiles on the outside of the house they weren't going to fill there, so I told them to drill the holes in the internal walls for access😁 needed decorating any way.
AGT

Post by AGT »

richbee wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:49 am As part of my investigations into the Octopus heat pump deal, and having talked to them yesterday about their quote; they mentioned that we need a valid EPC for them to be able to claim the £7.5k grant - which is obviously quite important.
They also mentioned that if any loft or cavity wall insulation issues are recommended on the EPC, it has to be sorted out before the grant is allowed - which does make sense.

So I set about getting someone to come and provide an EPC. Not sure how, but a random pick from the government list replied in 5 minutes and was onsite at 5pm yesterday - EPC was in my inbox by 7:30pm!!!

I was concerned about the cavity wall part of things, as the 1980s extension bit has cavities which aren't insulated. I thought that retro-fill cavity wall insulation in general had been rather discredited, due to damp bridging, cold spots, settling etc. Especially if the wall receives 'lots of driving rain and heavy weather' which pretty much describes our situation perfectly!
I mentioned it to the inspector as he walked round, and he said he would only comment if it wasn't present, and could be an improvement - so I was fully expecting to be ringing cavity wall suppliers today to see what they have to say.
Much to my surprise, he didn't mention it at all, only mentioned the solid stone walls and the insulated cavities in the new extension from 2 years ago - result!

So I don't need to do anything from the heat pump perspective, but I am now thinking I should investigate if it is reasonable to get some of the 80s cavities filled - the 2 rooms, downstairswith suspended floors and an open fireplace (with chimney sheep fitted) are much colder than the rooms with solid walls. Brief reading suggests that closed cell expanding foam may be the best - unless damp gets into the wall, as it can rot the wall ties. Polystyrene balls can also do the same, and mineral fibre is very much frowned upon now....

Any suggestions?

Geocell foam glass bubbles?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:04 pm
richbee wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:49 am As part of my investigations into the Octopus heat pump deal, and having talked to them yesterday about their quote; they mentioned that we need a valid EPC for them to be able to claim the £7.5k grant - which is obviously quite important.

Any suggestions?

Geocell foam glass bubbles?
I used vermiculite, air can gently pass through wicking away any moisture and it won't melt your internal wall electric cables which poly balls can do. After reading some horror stories on cavity wall foam insulation I don't have the bottle to touch it.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I had a look at geocell this morning, looks good. I did required walls with vermiculite.as I said last night. I don't remember geocell being about then. They'd have been a contender if I'd known.

The difference was instant. I also did recycled shredded newspaper blown into loft to top up existing insulation in inaccessible places. That was with a leaf blower and homemade hopper/hose extension. Messy but excellent 👌
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

I used vermiculite too around the chmimney liners when we installed the stoves, I also used it when I found a space under the floor in the first floor that went all the way to the ground floor, poured bags of it in there.

I think I read about the Geocell on the green building forum a while back and kept it in mind as it doesn’t affect pvc cabling unlike EPS

I don’t have cavities but stone will lath and plaster with gaps so was thinking about this to fill that gap when the need for redecoration arises.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Thanks guys,

gives me some things to look at - the Geocell stuff looks interesting
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW