Slide towards Winter

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Joeboy

Re: Slide towards Winter

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:35 am We're having another one of those days when it is -3℃ outside but the sun is shining!

We have gone whole winters before where it is gloomy for 4 consecutive months (seemingly). We've seen a lot of cold/sunny weather this year and the solar/battery/A2A/TG all just works so well together in this kind of weather.
That's some decent generation. we've got 650W incoming (shading, orientation), this of course does not include the mighty Enphase Powerhouse! :hysteria:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Passing through garage and checked again. We are at 700W (10.45). Was on my way to check No1's. His wee £500 system is belting out 418W!

As a momentary performance percentage our home is putting out

700W/10,120W = 6.916% :facepalm:

No1's home is putting out

418W/800W = 52.25% :)

Quite incredible which goes some way to salve my personal Winter PV performance wounds. :whistle:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Coming in quicker than I can use it.

IN WINTER!

I'm sure that isn't how it is supposed to work!

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:40 am Coming in quicker than I can use it.

IN WINTER!

I'm sure that isn't how it is supposed to work!

That is outstanding, long may it continue through the Solstice then.onward and even more upward!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice to wake through the night and hear the rain. All the black ice gone this morning and forecast is 6 degs for the next week (with rain).

That'll do.

Today I'm batch cooking pasta sauce on the WBS although SWMBO may force me to go out today. :facepalm:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Wow, 0.5kWh day total PV generation from a 10kW system. :whako:

Very glad of the backup. :praise:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Could be worse JB, my mobile array became very mobile and accelerated in an 80mph gust up the side of the house through the bin store out the other side before smashing into the porch wall and bending itself all out of shape. One 275wp panel survived the other is all grazed and bound for the junk pile.

I think the days of mobility for panels up here are numbered. We seem to be getting more and more frequent gales and it’s feeling like anything at ground level needs about half a tonne of ballast to keep it safe, my 150wp panel has been face down about six times in two weeks and that’s got 60 kg of ballast.

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Moxi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:47 pm I think the days of mobility for panels up here are numbered. We seem to be getting more and more frequent gales and it’s feeling like anything at ground level needs about half a tonne of ballast to keep it safe, my 150wp panel has been face down about six times in two weeks and that’s got 60 kg of ballast.
Moxi
Any chance of using screwpile-type anchors? (I hate giving up!) I have seen them sold for tethering goats etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Screw-In ... B001A2XG7G
But given where you are, maybe there isn't sufficient soil depth! I saw this forecast earlier today and thought of you...

2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:47 pm Could be worse JB, my mobile array became very mobile and accelerated in an 80mph gust up the side of the house through the bin store out the other side before smashing into the porch wall and bending itself all out of shape. One 275wp panel survived the other is all grazed and bound for the junk pile.

I think the days of mobility for panels up here are numbered. We seem to be getting more and more frequent gales and it’s feeling like anything at ground level needs about half a tonne of ballast to keep it safe, my 150wp panel has been face down about six times in two weeks and that’s got 60 kg of ballast.

Moxi
Sorry to hear that Moxi, I recall my incident a few years back. :SOS:

I had been putting off securing 3 of mine with cable ties until after a storm came through. :?

A brief look of horror before luckily it was all superficial damage and was restored in short time. :xx:

Lesson learned. :facepalm:

15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

No soil on the side of the house and we have a 50mm water pipe snaking up where I generally mount the panels so it’s got to be serious stone ballast rather than ground screws or concrete. Got an old slate tip behind us so plenty of raw material.

On the plus side it means I need to get on mounting the two 400’s on the porch roof and then put another 400 where the two 275’s were but maybe in landscape and at 90degrees so it’s almost flush to the house wall to stop down draft from the wall flipping it - which is what I think has been happening.

Moxi