Triple Glazing

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
AGT

Re: Triple Glazing

Post by AGT »

Not quite tripe glazing but there is 3 panes of glass, some progress today

Added my double glazed secondary glazing.
Just need to cut packers down to width
Add ‘picture frame architrave’
AGT

Post by AGT »

Not finished but the temp graphs are looking better. 2 days of saw tooth temp after glazing fitted( but not 100%) more smooth curve
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That is great to see. I love a passive solution step up in performance. 👏 👏
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

Only taken 4 months to get this far…..
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Oliver90owner wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:27 pm We installed secondary glazing at the front and rear ground floor of our house while it was still single glazed - so 40 odd years ago. I retained the secondary glazing when the double glazing was fitted. It removes any real risk of condensation on the front window and patio door. It would still remain in place, even if I fitted triple glazed. Every little helps.
We get quite a few customers fitting our secondary glazing to their existing double glazing. We're up front about their not being the same impact as if applied to single glazing, but we get surprisingly good feedback.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:32 pm
Once you've done that basic hygiene factors of decent insulation/air tightness, further improvements are very expensive for very little gain. Often you'd be better to add a few more solar panels. Obviously you need the space to put the panels, but a typical 3/4-bed house with a roof designed with solar in mind can fit 6kwp on the South(ish) roof and another 6kWp on the North(ish) side. That'll be more cost effective than expensive marginal improvements to insulation!
Not so sure about that. In winter PV is not even enough to run the house wheras that is where insulation is at its best 24/7. I think you need both as the whole is better than the sum of the 2 parts, just like batts and PV
Ken

Post by Ken »

Possibly the cheapest way to create triple glazing if you already have double retro is to fix acrylic sheets with clear double sided tape. Probably best suited to North and East windows.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Ken wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:03 am Possibly the cheapest way to create triple glazing if you already have double retro is to fix acrylic sheets with clear double sided tape. Probably best suited to North and East windows.
How does poly carbonate compare with acrylic for performance?
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:45 am
Ken wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:03 am Possibly the cheapest way to create triple glazing if you already have double retro is to fix acrylic sheets with clear double sided tape. Probably best suited to North and East windows.
I suspect not much worse, as I believe that the surfaces of the layer have a major effect, hence clingfilm working quite well - and highly cost-effectively!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:56 pm
openspaceman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:45 am
I suspect not much worse, as I believe that the surfaces of the layer have a major effect, hence clingfilm working quite well - and highly cost-effectively!
I made and stained a wooden frame with 2 layers of the film. I fitted a strip of foam draught excluder round the edge so I could push it into the window reveal of a non opening 1m square North facing double glazed window and easily remove after winter. The window was just behind my wife's right shoulder when she was watching TV and she could feel the cold air movement caused by the cooling effect of the glass. Immediately I fitted the extra 'glazing' she commented how much better it was and it is all but invisible. That was about 10 years ago it has only ever been removed to repaint walls.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.