Travel kettle

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Joeboy

Travel kettle

Post by Joeboy »

I spend quite a bit of time outdoors here at home. The secondhand travel kettle has proved a winner but it is being relegated to the garage utility strip. :shock: I'm not going to fight this one. ;)

Got T bags in wee metal box, got a tap, don't take sugar. Only thing to sort is milk.

I had been going to buy a load of those one shot UHT milk pods but thought them a bit of a packaging nightmare?

So we are going to trial milk cubes! :D I've got a half dozen freezing down now for test tomorrow. If successful i'll make up a bag of them and keep them in the garage freezer. Looking forward to seeing just how unhygienic the spoon and mug can become over time. :oO:

I'm betting very is the answer. :lol:

16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
SporranMcDonald

Re: Travel kettle

Post by SporranMcDonald »

I have a similar kettle - as a main kitchen kettle.

700Watts - is well within the battery outflow, without pulling in (momentary) grid power through the inverter.

Kettle Capacity - 0.5 Litres . . . means I never boil more than I need for a single hot drink.

This helps with the crucial environmental measures :-

- My house is Carbon Net Zero - w.r.t. Energy Import / Export . . . . excluding the CO2 from the woodburner ( reduction-in-progress ).

- (Tap) water consumption is down to 10 Litres per day
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 Kwh Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pump : single-split
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

SporranMcDonald wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:03 am I have a similar kettle - as a main kitchen kettle.

700Watts - is well within the battery outflow, without pulling in (momentary) grid power through the inverter.

Kettle Capacity - 0.5 Litres . . . means I never boil more than I need for a single hot drink.

- My house is Carbon Net Zero - w.r.t. Energy Import / Export . . . . excluding the CO2 from the woodburner ( reduction-in-progress ).

I'd be happy with this as the main, used it this morning while my porridge microwaved (heretic). A great wee thing. Sadly outvoted. :fight:

Great to hear you are carbon zero. Not sure where we are on that but I do like it when the inverter doesn't touch the grid. :xx:
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:42 am Looking forward to seeing just how unhygienic the spoon and mug can become over time. :oO:

When you say spoon, do you mean Phillips #2 in the rack to the left of the kettle? :lol:
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AlBargey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:28 am
Joeboy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:42 am Looking forward to seeing just how unhygienic the spoon and mug can become over time. :oO:

When you say spoon, do you mean Phillips #2 in the rack to the left of the kettle? :lol:
That may very well be the case! :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mart

Post by Mart »

SporranMcDonald wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:03 am I have a similar kettle - as a main kitchen kettle.

Same here, a 400ml 1kW kettle that's used all the time, and a normal 2.2kW kettle that's hardly ever used, but acts as a storage reservoir for the ickle one.

Got the first one about 10yrs ago, then it broke this summer, replacement lasted 2 months, but replacement for the replacement still going strong. One of the best things about these small kettles is that it's easy to just boil a single cup/mug's worth of water. Some bigger kettles need 1.5 or more mugs worth, just to reach their minimum.

Wifey also likes it for cooking, and has drawn 200 / 300 / 400 ml lines on it, so easy to boil and add as required, no need to measure (again).
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

We have a low wattage kettle in the caravan that saves tripping the electric hook up all the time when other things are also taking a load but at home we have a large 2.5kW thermally insulated smart kettle that will heat anything from 1 to 6 mugs worth of water to 60, 70, 80, 90 or 100 degrees C. It tells you how many cups are in the kettle and what the temperature is so its possible to come back to it an hour after the first heat to 90 degrees and make a cup of coffee at 80 degrees without needing to reheat.

Both kettles work well for us in the different power constraints.

For those with a travel kettle in the garage etc why not have a thermos flask or insulated cup at the side, make your drink and pour any remains from the kettle in the flask to stay warmer for longer, then when making your next cup empty the flak in to the kettle and top up with cold to the desired level before boiling. Just reduces losses that little bit more :)

Moxi