Induction hob

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
Bugtownboy

Re: Induction hob

Post by Bugtownboy »

Ours is 29 years old, on its third set of elements (latest replaced this year).

Simple, robust design, easy to repair, readily available spares.

Why can’t more stuff be like this ? Or perhaps more importantly, more people willing to buy decent and to repair when required.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:58 am Ours is 29 years old, on its third set of elements (latest replaced this year).

Why can’t more stuff be like this ? Or perhaps more importantly, more people willing to buy decent and to repair when required.
Years ago I heard the CEO of one of the appliance manufacturers interviewed on the radio. He said they’d love to make more reliable/repairable appliances but that’d make them more expensive to buy and consumers sort by price…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yeah they went "fashion over form" which is why we bought a second hand trad style 3 slicer & fixed it.

(our original large toaster was £3.00 new stock brand name at our local auction house, lasted till 2016, I was ready to fix it when the wife bought the current one (one failed element) ..to satisfy soup toast demands in a fzmily of 3

Recently a different element went (age) wife went shopping unnacompaniedw at costco & bought for a painful price a matching
set of kettle & toaster ..by dualit, ...argument, back in the car, waiting for a return trip.

(we dont need a cheaper toaster, nor a cheapo kettle for £130 that has lower quality than the original, the kettle is not deemed serviceable, though likely is)

Saying no can really get you into trouble right!?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:58 am Ours is 29 years old, on its third set of elements (latest replaced this year).

Todays woman will not wait, they simply go out buy a replacement, often expending more effort than diagnosing, getting a spare & asking a competent person to take alook.

Bright, shiny / bright white things ...like a magpie my wife.

Ive got to fix that toaster to prove a point now.

PS our latest kettle is a stainless steel boxed return from an ebay pallet buyer ..bought alongside a lockable lid larder bin for what became lockdown pasta storage, & a delonghi dragon radiator that had its slot in main panel bounced out in transit, (easily re-hung) & an instantpot, the lid slightly cracked ..products of careless couriers, under £90 the lot!
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
smegal

Post by smegal »

I've recently bought one. Another bonus is that the higher end models are still made in the UK too.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Gus has very handily introduced me to sous vide cooking. I'm having my first go at it. 4 discounted lamb joints are in the bag vac sealed and under vacuum.

Immediate benefits.
Zero mess or juices on prep
Used water straight from tap so preheated by yesterday's sun
The cool funky way the water is circulated
All the flavour will be kept in the meat
It's running at 1.2kW only.

SWMBO is ironing, son is gaming on big rig and I'm away to fire up Zelda tears of the kingdom. Plus cooking and no grid touch. :shock:

This is a very cool thing indeed and it has wi-fi. The lamb will be deboned and straight into a Ruby later today. Thank you Gus! 8-)

16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I now understand the desire to cook lamb :lol: discounted product as a first cook!

The favourite technique is more water, & generally smaller bags so that the product is not a mass (otherwise we look at longer times atypically)
Thus the one litre bags, stand product upright or single layer, whatever fits best so it has maximum heat & no cold spots.

Less bulk = more assured cook (& faster in theory)

look at the air out technique (via submersion) also best practised (less faff) compared to a capacious 3 litre (also good for cooling in cold water faster to cease cooking & get into a fridge / freezer faster (small bag nook & cranny storage et al)

If you need to open up the bag & release more air do it in the water as is (use the water pressure to expel air & lower the mouth carefully toward water.

If you insulate the pot it will decrease warm up (time) by 25% (not really noticeable in summer, but deffo in colder month colder kitchens / cook spots.

The heater will be fine in your soft water for weeks on end (I only de-calc every handful of months from a 15 min dip in white vinegar)

As for thermostatic energy cycles cutting in & out again it will heavily reduce with a silicone lid & a snug cut out to prevent evap)

Test out with the app, remember to favourite what works for you.

No whole / 1/2 chickens due to cavity (it should be obvious, but, when in experimental phase everything is a target!

Try cool water & some ice cubes as a beer chiller at a push, but total submersion is better (ie beer cooler) & some ingenuity circulate the cubes & cold water.

The ability to displace more water & a slightly bigger wattage element is why I opted for the mid size unit (when I used our BIG beer cooler 40+ quart? whilst I did use some hot water to bring the large joint cook up, it maintained heat without struggle, I just cut a thin wedge of insulation board to assist in moisture heat mitigation.

I'm keen to know which info source you used for that "fill yer boots" size training wheels cook joe, you got me twitchy ..jeez go big or go home eh!? :lol:

You separated any surface vibration? (teatowel underneath) ..& remember if it squeals at you it's a low water warning, another reason to get a lid on it (or a shower cap even at a push I guess) ..that's the death of a cook if unattended, & the idea is to be able to leave it &pull it together last minute stuff.

My defrost regime = stick it in whilst the temp comes up (if you need it)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A total of 0.71kWh to cook 1.2kg of lamb. That's seems rather good to me. Excellent texture and smell. The curry is on, a slow 8 hr gentle cook then sit until ykmorrow evening.

Effortless cooking. At one point (lunch) we had airfryer, sous vide wand and microwave running.The big oven defo feels archaic now 1 year in. 8-)
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

She's good... common sense cook, very good, direct speech / camera shots done well when needed (no frills)

Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Krill

Post by Krill »

I borrowed a portable induction hob from my parents and have been using it for the past two months, works great.

Now I'm looking for portable double amd single induction hot plates, rather than replacing the gas hob I have (got a bespoke cover made so the portable hobs will sit on it, under the extractor fan.

I've trawled through Amazon, and pickings look a little slim. Does anyone here have any advice about good portable induction hobs?
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)