Induction hob

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
nowty

Re: Induction hob

Post by nowty »

Krill wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:43 pm I borrowed a portable induction hob from my parents and have been using it for the past two months, works great.

Now I'm looking for portable double amd single induction hot plates, rather than replacing the gas hob I have (got a bespoke cover made so the portable hobs will sit on it, under the extractor fan.

I've trawled through Amazon, and pickings look a little slim. Does anyone here have any advice about good portable induction hobs?
I use a cheap single induction hob which just sits on my existing gas hob very snuggly. It was recommended by Mr Gus, at the time it was around £35 but its now £50.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... ?f=9&t=448

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tillreda-p ... -70493503/

15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

I also have a pair of portable IKEA induction hobs, they work very well and have a handy built in storage hook.
I think IKEA do a double ring variant now if that is preferable.

The only downside to the IKEA units I have is that they have a 'spiky' power profile at lower settings, pulsing on and off at full power as opposed to actual 50% power.
Not a major issue, just something to be aware of.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Agreed, not enough control to play with sugars due to the pulsing, but overall for general use (& portability) great budget kit for everyday needs.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Krill wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:43 pm I borrowed a portable induction hob from my parents and have been using it for the past two months, works great.

Now I'm looking for portable double amd single induction hot plates, rather than replacing the gas hob I have (got a bespoke cover made so the portable hobs will sit on it, under the extractor fan.

I've trawled through Amazon, and pickings look a little slim. Does anyone here have any advice about good portable induction hobs?
We used a Neff two ring portable induction unit for the best part of a year while deciding to move from gas. It really was the best fiver we spent that year! We then upgraded to a slot in 4 ring induction hob, no complaints.

Keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace or maybe gumtree? I'd rather have one with two different ring sizes but that's personal taste as I do quite a bit of multi hour slow cooks. The smaller ring at power 2 did the job well with no burning.

Found these on gumtree with a UK wide search. Any use?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobs/mini-ind ... 1459881889

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobs/portable ... 1459853633
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Krill

Post by Krill »

Thanks Joeboy, do you happen to know the Neff model you used? That is the sort of advice im looking for. I don't mind having one plate which is a bit more temperamental ie pulses on and off but the double plate I am looking for a good level of control as the wife will use it for some delicate cooking ie with sugars as others have mentioned.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Krill wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:25 pm Thanks Joeboy, do you happen to know the Neff model you used? That is the sort of advice im looking for. I don't mind having one plate which is a bit more temperamental ie pulses on and off but the double plate I am looking for a good level of control as the wife will use it for some delicate cooking ie with sugars as others have mentioned.
It's an.older model, give me a minute and I'll check.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

It's a bit dusty. I don't know if the tech has moved on much or if its comparable for these days.

I'm a big fan of second life stuff. Had a blast making up my completely mismatched induction pan set (?). Did buy frying pans new though.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Krill

Post by Krill »

Thanks again, I'll be in the hunt in gumtree and elsewhere now, armed with some useful information rather than random guessing.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I had a portable induction while I was remodelling the kitchen. It was very aggressive making cooking eggs, or simmering a pan, very difficult. Made me exceptionally nervous about the Neff hob I’d eyeballed for the new kitchen. However it turnout the Neff is exceptionally controllable, you can even melt butter or chocolate on the lowest settings with no fear of burning!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:30 am I had a portable induction while I was remodelling the kitchen. It was very aggressive making cooking eggs, or simmering a pan, very difficult. Made me exceptionally nervous about the Neff hob I’d eyeballed for the new kitchen. However it turnout the Neff is exceptionally controllable, you can even melt butter or chocolate on the lowest settings with no fear of burning!
Sounds like you get what you pay for :) I bought a Samsung induction hob recently after years of using a cooker with rings, the control and speed is fantastic.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf