Structural engineer.

Tinbum

Structural engineer.

Post by Tinbum »

A few years ago I got planning to extend my house. The Architects recommended a structural engineer to design the steelwork and look at the structural integrity. What a mistake. I have been a builder all my life, I have a degree in construction, which involved steelwork design and calculation and couldn't believe what they came up with. Steel beams in the ground below the ground floor, one of which they simply removed when I questioned it! Beams that were lower than the ceiling, which I had specifically said I didn't want, which became smaller when informed. Wind posts in the ground floor cavity.

Anyway I had a change of plan and I now have planning for a new build and needed a structural engineer for that. I went with another recommendation from the Architect and that's also been a disaster. I don't have much confidence in them when they can't even get foundation widths shown on drawings to match the colour legend and a beam that is detailed as box section with a steel plate welded on in the drawings is listed as I beams. Beams that are on concrete padstones that are in an internal facing brick wall, 10N block wall that is also shown clearly as an internal facing brick wall. Now, worst of all they are not any returning calls and the job was instructed in April!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, old-fashioned, practical , structural engineer?
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Re: Structural engineer.

Post by Stinsy »

No recommendation I'm afraid.

In life it is always a good idea to understand the priorities of all parties. And also to understand that a lot of so-called "professionals" aren't particularly bright or even that well-informed on their chosen field!

When I took out a supporting wall to create an open-plan kitchen, I did the calculations/drawings myself. I found it to be horrendously and needlessly complicated. I knew what size beam and what kind of padstones / supporting-pillars needed before I started, but producing the documentation required by building control seemed like a process designed purely to create/retain employment for structural engineers.

The person who designed the structure in your previous project didn't care a jot about saving you money. They just threw up a structure, did the calculations and sent you an invoice. They didn't pause to think "is there a cheaper way to achieve the same thing?" or "is every part of this design required?".

I remember someone on another forum complaining that their architect had specified a resistive electric boiler. Possibly the most expensive way to heat a home. A casual disregard for their client's objectives/finances is unfortunately rife in professional services.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Couldn't agree more. I used to have to work loadings and designs out with a pencil and a piece of paper and understood how to do it and all the principles. Now it's input it all into a computer, print out result, then send !
Last edited by Tinbum on Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I've many times been surprised at the vast range of solutions from piddly little flitch plates to monster UCs to do essentially the same job, maybe it's an insurance thing?

We've used a nice bloke for the last 15 years or so for our engineering he is based in Cobham so if you are not too far away I could send you his details.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Burble61

Post by Burble61 »

Excellent reminders to always understand at least the basic answers to the questions you are asking!

learnt that the hard way on some works here - Building Control Inspector trots round, states everything is fine except "that beam will have to be replaced its the wrong size". Hmmh pretty sure I had checked the right one from the structural design went in the right place, and I had got the engineer to explain them to me (my engineering being of a different, but very numerical, variety).

Looks again at design - hmmh Mr Inspector don't think there is a problem but it looks like you may have transposed a digit in the ID and were looking for the wrong beam in the right place. "I can't possibly have done that, we are very diligent". Ok I will send the design report over again so you have it to hand and could possibly have another look. "Well if you insist".

10 minutes later email received - "construction approved, formal sign-off to follow".

I'm sure my experience isn't unique.

back to the OP - if the work can be done remotely, happy to recommend a structural engineer near Northampton - have used on many jobs in personal and professional capacity. PM me if that would work...
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Thank you everyone. I have given the engineers until the end of the week to come up with drawings and to arrange a meeting to discuss the other outstanding matters. So far I've heard nothing other than an e mail today to say the bill is now outstanding to which I've replied they haven't done the work. The last contact from them before that was 1st July!!

It shouldn't need any site visits so remote should be fine.

I do hate all the bureaucracy. I'm sure I could build it with the knowledge I have and their would be no way it would fall down, crack, subside etc. As the Client I shouldn't really be having to check their work.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I take it you're going for a full plans submission on this, if so and you feel confident that you can engineer the structure ok why not submit your own calcs? After all your LABC will check your proposal before granting the go ahead, so if you have omitted anything it will come to light before you start anyway. All your project will lack is PII cover, unless your project is horrendously complex that hardly matters IMO

Desp
Blah blah blah
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Hi Desp, yes I will be.

It's been over 35 years, nearly 40 since I did my Degree. I do still have my old books and probably could do a lot of it but it's the time involved. I could look back at the old structural calcs for the extension which would help a lot as the new house is very much based on the old house with extension. One beam has a span +1m, two beams are new but I have a size but no calcs. With another new beam I have the size but no calcs and no design for the column that goes with it. I do have a program somewhere that will do the cals if you know the span, UDL and point loads.

In total their are 5 beams to design and one column. The Architects were also wanting an overall structural stability of the house. They are maybe complicating it a bit. These latest engineers came up with 2 ground floor internal walls built out of 10N blockwork. One was/is to be a brick wall (15N bricks) anyway but that's not good enough.

I still haven't heard anything back from them!