Shower waste water heat recovery

Tinbum

Shower waste water heat recovery

Post by Tinbum »

On talking to the person that is doing the SAP calculations for my new build he mentioned devices for collecting the heat from waste water from the showers which is used to warm the cold water to the shower. Has anyone any experience?
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Re: Shower waste water heat recovery

Post by Joeboy »

No, although the thought has crossed my mind many times. :D
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I have seen them before but I've previously worked on the principle that the heat is generally lost to the fabric of the house before it exits the house itself so isn't wasted as such.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

This is one of those things that makes sense when you first think about it but isn't practical.
  • Showers only run for a few minutes a day.
  • Lots of the heat is lost between the shower-head and plughole.
  • You need to avoid freezing the outgoing water.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tinbum wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:26 am I have seen them before but I've previously worked on the principle that the heat is generally lost to the fabric of the house before it exits the house itself so isn't wasted as such.
Ventaxia do the single unit MVHR, that would grab a reasonable amount?
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

If I was designing one it would have to be easily accessible and come apart very easily for cleaning as the heat exchange surfaces will quickly get coated with slimy stuff and soap scum which will cut its effectiveness. Hence the need for a very simple (and therefore inefficient) heat exchanger, maybe just a couple of microbore copper pipes for the clean water inside a wider waste-water tube? Counter-current flow for the best heat-exchange.

Keeping it clean just by regular dosing with chemicals of some kind has both financial and embedded energy costs as well. It's horrible when shower trays don't drain properly...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

A friend fitted one of these heat recovery units a few years ago, a sort of concentric copper pipe arrangement that forms the vertical part of the waste pipe from the shower. It recovers around 30% of the heat that the shower uses, by pre-heating the cold water feed to the hot tank. Not caused any issues at all AFAIK, as the grey water from the shower just runs down the centre copper pipe, which is around 50mm in diameter.

I looked at making one, as the ready made ones cost and arm an a leg, but there's a problem with the water regs, in that they demand a double pipe arrangement - you apparently cannot run potable water with just a single skin separating it from grey water. My idea was to buy a length of 50mm copper pipe and then wrap 4 parallel runs of 8mm microbore pipe tightly around it, with the 4 runs of microbore being connected in parallel. I planned to solder the pipes together to get good heat transfer.

As it turned out I'd not got the space to install such a thing, as ideally it needs to be vertical to work well. The secret is to have an offset feed from the shower waste going in to the top, so it makes the waste water spin around as it descends, making it stick to the walls of the pipe and maximise heat transfer.

A 30% saving in hot water energy use seemed very worthwhile to me, although most of our hot water comes from solar, so there wouldn't have been much of a cost saving.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

If you have a water saving shower head, turn the temp down and shower for 2 mins, how much energy are you really going to save ?
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Just looking quickly their are some claiming about 60% efficiency but the price is :shock:

https://www.ukhps.co.uk/heatrae-sadia-s ... 33370.html
Last edited by Tinbum on Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Tinbum wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:45 am Just looking quickly their are some claiming about 60% efficiency but the price is :shock:

https://www.ukhps.co.uk/heatrae-sadia-s ... 33370.html
[Expletive deleted}

For the same money you could fit an extra kW or two of PV, or fit an air-to-air heat pump, etc. they'd make a much bigger difference than this thing of dubious efficiency!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)