Insulating Timber Garage

AGT

Insulating Timber Garage

Post by AGT »

Hi All,

Wondering what everyone’s thoughts on insulation/ condensation are on a timber garage.

I’m looking to put a new timber roof, torch on felt for some PV, prior to adding a few plywood backboards for various electrical equipment, is it worth insulating for example to reduce heat travelling through the structure to heat inverters .

Would the insulation then cause condensation, and is it worth it ?
Can’t strip off cladding so couldn’t add tyvex type house wrap outside

Garage is timber shiplap construction, on concrete base.
Used to store tools, etc no vehicles but would like to gradually utilise it more in the winter for projects.

Appreciate the input
spread-tee

Re: Insulating Timber Garage

Post by spread-tee »

If there is no heating in the garage I wouldn't bother with insulation, it wouldn't keep it materially cooler in summer either, condensation wont be an issue unless there is a source of moisture in there. My workshop is studwork clad in shiplap with a tyvek membrane and it is nice and draught free which makes it quite comfortable even in the winter. IMHO it would be worth a fair bit of hassle to strip off the shiplap to fix a membrane, I guess it depends how it is fixed.

Desp
Blah blah blah
AGT

Post by AGT »

Cheers Desp,

No heating at the moment but may add some local heating later once it’s ready to be a wee workshop.

Removing the cladding is a non starter.
Would some insulation, vapour barrier and ply seem a good compromise?

Vapour barrier in the ‘warm’ side.
AGT

Post by AGT »

18mm OSB ready for roof repair next week
Torch on felt for covering
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Depends what the shed is used for to at least some extent. Dimensions may be useful, too.

I constructed my workshop inside a sectional concrete garage. It houses machine tools, is about 30 cubic meters and very cool in the summer/ warm (and dry) in the cooler months. It is draught-free and insulated with as much insulation material as practicable.

A desiccant dehumidifier has been running for a couple of hours each night on low setting (~375W) over this winter. The workshop has required very little extra heat (only when I am in there, usually) to maintain a dry and condensation-free work-space.

As long as you are not trapping moisture within the timbers, I would not expect any problems, so some ventilation may be required outside the insulation.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Old roof covering removed, 4x2 timber added to perimeter of roof, 18mm osb screwed down to the roof, 5x1 fascia added and drip timber added. Osb covered with primer
Torch on felt torched on around the perimeter and then 5 rolls to make it waterproof.
2 tired workers 8am-5:30pm.

So space now ready for 9x panels and internal works to get inverters /ac distribution ready…
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:39 pm Old roof covering removed, 4x2 timber added to perimeter of roof, 18mm osb screwed down to the roof, 5x1 fascia added and drip timber added. Osb covered with primer
Torch on felt torched on around the perimeter and then 5 rolls to make it waterproof.
2 tired workers 8am-5:30pm.

So space now ready for 9x panels and internal works to get inverters /ac distribution ready…
Nice one, roof working is at least a 1.5 multiplier in skeleton load and brain strain. 🧠
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

Yep, especially when I’m a 20 foot drop onto next doors concrete , or 12 feet if I hit their garage first.

Time to clad internal gable of one wall for all the normal electrics plus solar electrics.

All goodnfun
AGT

Post by AGT »

Home made right angle brackets, sprayed with galv then black drilled to fix guttering to it via nuts and bolts
AGT

Post by AGT »

Picked up guttering etc but too rainy to do anything

Fixing for rails turned up too