Upper storey floor underfloor, suspended insulation sheet mounting.

Mr Gus

Upper storey floor underfloor, suspended insulation sheet mounting.

Post by Mr Gus »

Hey lads.
Lifted a few boards to top up insulation where we are clear/ish of pipe runs using reclaimed foil faced insulation.

Strapping to support & hold.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ced-all-roun ... -10m/18298

Cheaper to buy this stuff than tiny 30x30mm right angle supports, easy to cut using a decent pair of tin snips, please blunt the sharp ends before fitting.

Might be a cheap solution for those with concerns who don't want to simply lay it to the floor of the ceiling below.

For those who come later & have zero DIY skills, years down the road reading reference archival material.. some context:
Measure your wooden upper storey floor joist supports height, & width across the floor / ceiling & up the other side.
In essence you are cutting a U shape to screw NEAR the top of the joist so if not putting full height insulation in it will still have purpose if topped up in years to come.

When it comes to bending the strapping be careful ends are sharp, gloves & something solid to help form the correct crease (use a sharpie marker to highlight the two crease areas.

Use a bradawl / a small dremel to site your screw points before screwing home by hand or with a battery drill on a low torque.

Screws can be short, what you have salvaged from other jobs they are not bearing great weight, just general support.

We did um & err over solutions on "St elsewhere" forum but I don't recall mild s/steel strapping being discussed, yet it seems logical & less messy than chicken wire.
Last edited by Mr Gus on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AE-NMidlands

Re: Upper floor insulation sheet mounting.

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Should that be "Under-floor" insulation sheet mounting?
My upper floor gets warmed by heat from the ground-floor room below, and the loft has loose-laid insulation between the ceiling joists and another layer over that.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
AE-NMidlands

Re: Upper storey floor insulation sheet mounting.

Post by AE-NMidlands »

OK, so you mean for somewhere like a heated room over a garage?
A
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Mr Gus

Re: Upper storey floor insulation sheet mounting.

Post by Mr Gus »

AE, you go up the stairs, the landing level you stand upon you insulate below those floorboards.
I'm not a person who believes in letting individual room heat just pee through the remaining void levels, it is easier to reduce heating demand by containment, loft, floor, floor, ground floor. wall reflectivity.

The more the better, especially if it is from my skip gathering offcuts collection.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
AE-NMidlands

Re: Upper storey floor underfloor, suspended insulation sheet mounting.

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I'm afraid we are in a different place, as they say.
When we designed our central heating it was sized for background warmth with extra heat (if needed) from a gas fire in the room where we would be sitting in the evenings.
The upstairs room radiator sizes take account of heat coming up from below: without that (and no additional heat sources) I think the bedrooms would be unacceptably chilly...

Compartmentalising may well be the way of the future though, and if we move to more heating [of individual rooms] directly from electricity I can see this becoming important.
A
Mr Gus

Re: Upper storey floor underfloor, suspended insulation sheet mounting.

Post by Mr Gus »

Its a gradual process, but it makes sense when I lift boards, & for instance in the unheated kitchen the room above doesn't suffer so badly, the landing unheated also benefits, it's a slog, floors are warmer, noise reduction etc.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS