About time "eco design" " quoted parameters were applied & enforced legally.

Stinsy

Re: About time "eco design" " quoted parameters were applied & enforced legally.

Post by Stinsy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:13 pm
Stinsy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:54 pm One of the batteries in my “non-serviceable” UPS failed after 2 years. Turned out it was a standard size and very easy to change.
I'm having the same problem with my APC UPS, the battery barely lasts long enough to very quickly shut the machine down before cutting out. I've been looking (in vain) for a lithium replacement. The existing battery is a small (7Ah) sealed lead acid one, and it seems to be that if I could swap it for a 4S LiFePO4 pack the thing would have a much greater usable capacity and most probably a long life, too. Only slight snag is how to change the charge voltage. It needs to be reduced to a round 12.4 to 12.6V maximum. Might need to get cunning at making a 4S LiFePO4 pack, with integral BMS, look like a 12V SLA.
Mine started beeping to tell me the battery pack had failed the self-test after 2-years. It held 2x 7Ah 12V LA batteries, I swapped both for the cheapest replacements I could find and it has been running fine for the last 5-years.

I looked into LiFePO4 replacements at the time and you could get them in the correct form-factor, but I flinched at the price. I also considered externally mounting a pair of 110Ah LA batteries, but the existing setup powers my router, network switch and CCTV cameras for c. 2.5hrs so there seemed to be little need.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Re: About time "eco design" " quoted parameters were applied & enforced legally.

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:25 pm
Mine started beeping to tell me the battery pack had failed the self-test after 2-years. It held 2x 7Ah 12V LA batteries, I swapped both for the cheapest replacements I could find and it has been running fine for the last 5-years.

I looked into LiFePO4 replacements at the time and you could get them in the correct form-factor, but I flinched at the price. I also considered externally mounting a pair of 110Ah LA batteries, but the existing setup powers my router, network switch and CCTV cameras for c. 2.5hrs so there seemed to be little need.
Mine's doing the same, but it's smaller and only has a single 7Ah SLA. The battery seems to have had it, but it's not yet three years old, which seems a bit of a short life for a battery that's barely been cycled.

I might just replace it with a decent branded replacement, but I quite like the idea of fitting a bigger battery. Like you, it runs lots of stuff, an Openmediavault NAS, 16 port switch, the landline phone, the router and the VDSL Modem, as well as mu low power desktop PC.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Funnily enough, the water boiler was part of my beer brewing kit from NEW ZEALAND (firm) Chinese made "Grainfather" ..as this is a recognised "frequent failer" ..I bought 3 to tide me over.

Folk would hold the kit higher in regard & recommendation for honest, "easy-fix" ..instead you have to look on dedicated forums (more time looking than actual repair time) ..patently ridiculous position to put the consumer & sellers through!

A brew shop that says, great kit, easily fixed, if you cant I can, ..sells more, esp fixing while you wait. having arranged to bring it in when quiet.

Funnily & in direct contrast, my all in one brew machine, grainfather got trashed (those dick couriers Hermes) & they sold everything as spares, reasonably.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

ClockmanFRA wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:42 pm Gus,

The trouble is, the wheeler dealers and the middle men don’t give a dam.

Remember, the western culture is all about gratuitous consumption and sell sell sell at any cost.

I link keeping 60 year old equipment going and fully operational, to the true sustainability concept.

AM I WRONG????
Russia are currently forced inch by inch down that route, they are now the bin men of ukraine robbing all kinds of crap for god knows what.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:03 am
ClockmanFRA wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:42 pm Gus,

The trouble is, the wheeler dealers and the middle men don’t give a dam.

Remember, the western culture is all about gratuitous consumption and sell sell sell at any cost.

I link keeping 60 year old equipment going and fully operational, to the true sustainability concept.

AM I WRONG????
Russia are currently forced inch by inch down that route, they are now the bin men of ukraine robbing all kinds of crap for god knows what.
I read about some "interesting" thefts of optical equipment (high end binoculars and the like) in Scandinavia that have been linked to Russia. I even read that Sweedish speed cameras have been disappearing and their components turning up in Russian drones shot down over Ukraine!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)