How do I.. remove this drain cover!?

spread-tee

Re: How do I.. remove this drain cover!?

Post by spread-tee »

Is it a pressed steel thing filled with screed and then tiled?

I remember some of those rectangular screw downs have screws that come out some way and then you lift them with a bar under the screws themselves. Mind you they are bloody heavy when screeded and tiled, and with a bit of rust you will be back to the trusty sledgehammer.

I just luv hammers really :D

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Brave man doing a search for that on t'internet could turn up a lot of on site jokes at the very least.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:56 pm Brave man doing a search for that on t'internet could turn up a lot of on site jokes at the very least.
You mean "screwed and tiled?"
but yes, I see what you mean... reminds me of a verse of the rugby song "Dina Dina show us your legs" from my youth. I didn't play the game, apart from being chased around the field or getting involved as little as possible at an ordinary state grammar school, but had a book of the songs!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

spread-tee wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:53 pm Is it just a screw down or are there lifting eyes in it??

If it is as stuck as you say you are probably best off battering the shit out of it with a sledghammer, rip it up and replace lid and frame with something that has a proper system for lifting in the future. I have spent many an hour trying to prise these things up, welding up some lifting hooks from re-bar mostly to no avail. Go to a good tile shop and source a few new tiles first and you will save yourself a bunch of heartache. And it wont cost a lot of money.

Really do need a piccy mate.

Desp
Screwed n tiled 1980's coffee nastiness but no desire to re-tile a whole floor.
Previously the attachment points are to the inside of the screw down area which worked on the two previous occasions, not this time. ..damn
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:18 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:56 pm Brave man doing a search for that on t'internet could turn up a lot of on site jokes at the very least.
but yes, I see what you mean... reminds me of a verse of the rugby song "Dina Dina show us your legs" from my youth. I didn't play the game, apart from being chased around the field or getting involved as little as possible at an ordinary state grammar school, but had a book of the songs!
"Come here & let me grease up yer man-ole" ..etc
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:01 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:18 pm
"Come here & let me grease up yer man-ole" ..etc
I remember "Rich girls, they use Vaseline, poor girls they use lard, Dinah uses axle-grease because...!"
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Finally the lid is due to go back on in a couple of days.
Not having the wife & kiddo around last week meant I could monitor the seepage past the blockage (as was) which at one point spilled out, nasty!

As it was backed up I was forced to remove the crud until it was "water of a brown colour"
I rodded with my bailey blues (10 x lengths) zero resistance.
That pushed it beyond my scope of movement.

Called local firm who found some 17 metres away a limescale build up that was preventing flow, abrasive doo-hicky took it out, all flowed as normal.

Bearing in mind I swear by (for the internal pipework, having removed some & reinstalled it to check progress) the plug in limescale slurr-ifier which cleaned our pipes out over several years & flushed the crud away in copper piping, i'm interested as to how limescale builds up a lip in a clay waste pipe at such a distance.

The guys said no fat-bergs present,(we are on a loop) present ..we are careful not to pour oils, nor use clay ingredient clothes washing powders.
We managed 15 years since the last blockage (tree roots) ..now I need to finish cleaning the pit entrance & apply a lid grease, ..Screwfix?

(the 1 tonne naff hydraulic jack kit is going back, it was naff, the 2 tonne was a breeze) ..way better construction & no air blockage hindering it.

Do you reckon the limescale would have been shiftable IF i'd had a second set of bailey's??
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Re: How do I.. remove this drain cover!? / "manhole grease"

Post by Mr Gus »

You'd hope that there would be a spec sheet on CLARK (yaxley, p,boro) drain manufacturers & galvanisers that a small domestic tin of "manhole grease" would be widely available, nope it's 3kg cans (50+ years use at the rate we lift ours)

So what inert grease can be used that doesn't shaft me so I can clean & seal everything properly?

Should I get a small pot of marine grease?

Or am I overthinking & simply need a general purpose lubricating grease?

cheers
Gus
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

I would imagine any lubricating grease would prevent it sticking again.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

It's got to be inert, so the commonly found lithium grease = a no no!
Don't want to drip drip more nasties into the environment.
Galv steel cover underside onto iron? & cement.

Trying to find a non exorbitently priced 500g tub is proving maddening, considering every house will have a bloody drain cover this stuff is incredibly overlooked or stupidly expensive & in non domestic sized cans.

:evil:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS