Airing Cupboard Solution

NikoV6

Airing Cupboard Solution

Post by NikoV6 »

In our previous house, we had quite a large airing cupboard, kept reasonably warm by the hot water tank and associated pipes.

Mrs Niko used it a lot for washing drying.

Now we have an ASHP, the hot water tank is super insulated and gives off no heat.

What eco friendly options are there for a warm drying room?

Ta!
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Stinsy

Re: Airing Cupboard Solution

Post by Stinsy »

Clothes on an airer in front of a dehumidifier is the best option.

I have this one: https://amzn.eu/d/iMIOLjQ

It does a great job...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

If you have low cost/carbon heat, heating and airing in a room with MVHR is probably more economical/lower carbon than dehumidifying. Although that's significantly less hassle to install and, if you can time it with solar peaks, low cost.

Washing lines are probably the best! But hard to fit in with modern life and the weather
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Sun sail material?
Blocks uv,allows breeze,reduces rain penetration by 90? giving longer window of opportunity to dry from.

But thats not indoors.
Ashp tumble drying addition. it is then, likely cheaper pre-existing formatthat will have steam cycle etc just like a modern washer separate for "quickly needed" single items.

Otherwise adapting an existing space for less will likely have you coming up short.price wise.

A house full of people will only entertain our green keen so far, likely compromise area in this instance at this time otherwise.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
robl

Post by robl »

Is the new tank in an airing cupboard? Rare they don't give off some heat, there's usually pumps and valve gubbins. We Insulated our cupboard door, also behind the tank as it's an outside wall. EPS beads fill the empty space behind the tank, because, well why not. The space warms up a bit more than the rest of the house, so dropping the RH improving drying, and there's nowhere for socks to get lost :D. Needs to be a few gaps at the top and bottom of the door for air circulation.
Mvhr here too, it is great.

4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

robl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:12 pm Is the new tank in an airing cupboard? Rare they don't give off some heat, there's usually pumps and valve gubbins. We Insulated our cupboard door, also behind the tank as it's an outside wall. EPS beads fill the empty space behind the tank, because, well why not. The space warms up a bit more than the rest of the house, so dropping the RH improving drying, and there's nowhere for socks to get lost :D. Needs to be a few gaps at the top and bottom of the door for air circulation.
Mvhr here too, it is great.

Thanks everybody, hadn't thought of dehumidifier!

Tank is actually in the bathroom! With all associated pumps and valves! Only space we had at install time! Long thin bathroom, it takes up one end :shock:
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Drying with a capable dehumidifier impinges upon space & may affect the room itself (damp) compared to the heat pump box of a tumble dryer, likely, generally same roo. as washing machine, so convenient & less frustrating to deal with for whoever does the bulk of the washing (if badly trained kids😉 expect a pick up wash, fold & drop off service)

We have a dehumidifier, they aren't cheap & don't like being nudged / moved due to the whole similar mechanics "on wheels" of an ashp tumbler.
So a badly placed, regularly moved, not left to settle as per instructions unit may result in a shorter life & premature rise out to the local tip. (my thoughts)
Whilst ashp tumblers are backed up by heated element to cover all scenarios, ours rarely comes on (red light) even in a cold utility room, which cooks in summer.

Fridges & freezers are the same, must be left after being moved fpr purposes of circulation essential to operation...well, meant to be.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Andy

Post by Andy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:42 pm Drying with a capable dehumidifier impinges upon space & may affect the room itself (damp) compared to the heat pump box of a tumble dryer, likely, generally same roo. as washing machine, so convenient & less frustrating to deal with for whoever does the bulk of the washing (if badly trained kids😉 expect a pick up wash, fold & drop off service)
Interestingly I've noticed that the room with the heat pump tumble dryer gets a lot more humid whilst running. A bit like a condenser I had in the past. I've started running a dehumidifier in the room as well now. It's similar to the one linked to earlier and shuts off as soon as the humidity set point is reached.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:42 pm Whilst ashp tumblers are backed up by heated element to cover all scenarios, ours rarely comes on (red light) even in a cold utility room, which cooks in summer.
We've got an AEG heat pump tumble dryer and there is no heated element in it, I know because I've had it stripped down to clear a blockage in the drainage channels below the condenser.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

There was a thread about ASHP tumble dryers and a couple of us including me did not even know they existed. :oops:
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =21&t=1792
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3